My laptop has stopped scanning for wifi

bluedandylyon 17:08 20 Sep 2010

Hello

My laptop recently got a horrible virus which I managed to fix despite being a girl! :)
However
One of the remaining side effects of the virus is that it will not scan for wireless networks - every time I try it says :

"Windows cannot configure this wireless connection"
and
"If you want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) service"

So I can currently only connect to the internet using an ether net cable, which is very restricting as it means I can't take my laptop to a cafe etc.

Things I've tried :
> Turning it on and off again - yes - in every way - the router, the laptop, the cabelling all of it.
> Other laptops - I have had friends bring their laptops round and they have been able to scan for and connect to my wireless network - so the problem is definitely with my laptop.
> System Restore - I have tried to restore back to the week before the laptop got the virus, but this has not solved the problem.

Could it be that the virus made my computer go into some kind of emergency attack mode and then the firewall got effected?

Any advice would be very gratefully received - thanks in advance for your help!

It is a Toshiba A100-920 laptop running Windows XP.

xx

woodchip 17:19 20 Sep 2010

If you have a XP CD put it in the drive, then in Run box type

SFC /SCANNOW press enter,

note the space after SFC and before /

woodchip 17:22 20 Sep 2010

If you had a Virus, it is necessary to turn off System Restore then back on "to clear old Restore points" as the Virus will be in restore, so if you run it at a Later Date you will restore the Virus

bluedandylyon 17:24 20 Sep 2010

Thanks very much for getting in touch.
I'm afraid I do not have the CD any more, is this something I can download?

onthelimit 17:28 20 Sep 2010

Have you tried starting WZC? In XP, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Scroll down to WZC then if it's stopped, start it!

woodchip 17:34 20 Sep 2010

As onthelimit above
Right Click My Computer then Click Manage\Services and turn it on if its been turned off

bluedandylyon 17:38 20 Sep 2010

YOU GUYS RULE
Thanks so much
The WZC thingy fixed it, I am so grateful

onthelimit 17:54 20 Sep 2010

....I knew there was a quicker route somewhere!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache