is my laptop dead? -Toshiba Satalite A100300

eysha1 15:37 20 May 2014
Answered

How do I tell if my laptop is completely dead and only fir for the rubbish? Might seem a daft question but I need to check it is totally dead before disposing of it. I will take out the hard drive first but I have a feeling it just needs a bit of help - I just don't know how to do it or what to look for so all help really appreciated. Thanks in advance. E.

Woolwell 16:49 20 May 2014

Minus hard drive there will be no data relating to you so you will have nothing to worry about it. It will be dead.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:10 20 May 2014

Any signs of life when switched on i.e led lit, fan noises, screen flicker?

Any thing happen if you remove battery and run on mains only?

onthelimit1 17:49 20 May 2014

Is the charger actually charging? A glowing green led on the charger means mains is applied, but not that DC is being fed to the laptop. Need to check with a multimeter.

eysha1 15:19 25 May 2014

Sorry for the late reply. as to why this happened I have no idea. it worked fine then it didn't. nothing was done to it as it sits on a desk top and not moved around. Nothing happens at all Fruit Bat. no lights or sounds, nothing, even when connected to electricity or on its own battery. the charger is working fine, I tried it on another laptop, my daughter's as she has the exact same laptop. I swopped chargers with her and my charger works fine on her laptop but not the other way around. My laptop was used daily but never misused so I have no idea why it has stopped working completely. any help would be great. I am sure it can be fixed, just no idea how to do it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:03 25 May 2014

Remove battery

unplug adaptor from dc jack at rear

remove all things from usb ports or dvd drives

press and hold the power button for 30 seconds

reconnect dc jack and try to boot while on mains only

eysha1 17:16 25 May 2014

Fruit Bat, followed your instructions and still nothing, however, since the laptop hasn't been used in a while I notice what looks like condensation on the keys and screen. The screen cleans ok but I suspect a little damp inside the laptop. Is there a way to 'dry it out'? if that is the right expression?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:18 25 May 2014

Put it in an airing cupboard for a few hours.

eysha1 17:36 25 May 2014

Don't have airing cupboard, only boiler cupboard. alternative? how do I PM?

eysha1 17:54 25 May 2014

Would a hair dryer work?

rdave13 18:06 25 May 2014

How does it get the condensation? The only way I can think of is going from a hot room to a very cold room, or room temp changes a lot over time. Very unusual. Or it has had a spillage on it and nobody is saying.

Keep it on a window sill above a radiator for a few days. The longer you can wait the better the chances.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?