Is my Lappy dying?? Got a TomTom query too.....

AngeTheHippy 08:30 27 Nov 2008

Morning Chaps,
My Lappy - well she's 5.5 years old now, and as faithful as she's been I think she might be terminal. For the 2nd morning running(I only use with house power, not battery)when I've pressed the on button she hasn't responded. Even repeated pressing still didn't turn on. Eventually she did power up and is working **not bad**. She is very slow even though I've cleaned the HDD regularly. Just to BE SURE, I've connected my external HD this morning to copy over everything of relevance ***just in case*** I'm caught out unprepared.

I think I'll do a format/install of XP before I do anything else though. SO! Is this a sign of Dying Lappy syndrome please? Should I add a new one to me Christmas list?

TOM TOM QUERY.
My TomTom One has an SD card memory that came in the box. It's pretty small and I couldn't update the last time without deleting some stuff as no space. Would a purchased SD card work OK? Maybe a 2Gb?

Thanks for reading,

AngeTheHippy
xx

sinbads 09:39 27 Nov 2008

51/2 years is old and you are probably correct in thinking it may be on its way out ;however the main thing in this situation is to backup your important data which you have done.Could be after you format/reinstall its fine, guess time will tell.

Your tom tom query, Update your tom tom then copy the contents of your old SD to your pc,(a new folder on the desktop) insert your new SD and copy the contents of the saved info on the desktop.

as l;ong as you use a decent SD card you should be ok SANDISK or KINGSTON should be fine

Technotiger 09:44 27 Nov 2008

Hi, I agree with sinbads, and yes a purchased SD card will be OK.

AngeTheHippy 09:53 27 Nov 2008

thanks to both of you. Last December, I had to reinstall XP on the Lappy because she wasn't feeling well then either ... I think I will go ahead and reformat again, but the way I look at it is I've managed to extend it's use by more-or-less another year, so not bad going. I'll be prepared for the worse though!! My younger son bought an HP a couple of months back, and it really is a lovely little lappy. It cost £399. The eldest son just HAD to go one better and purchased another Dell lappy for ...£940. HE'S had to re install Vista once already.. it's 3 weeks old. Me thinks he just **might** be paying for the name?? Time will tell.

Thanks for the TomTom info too. I'll just go ahead and purchase another SD then.My camera card is a Sandisk and performs well - wasn't expensive either.

A
xx xx

AngeTheHippy 09:53 27 Nov 2008

anchor 10:33 27 Nov 2008

I agree with the comments made above. You don`t say what model TomTom you have; some have the maps on the SD card, so a "fast" card would be advisable in that case.

Avoid a higher capacity card that is SDHC; many models cannot read this type of card.

For future reference, a useful TomTom forum is here:

click here

AngeTheHippy 10:44 27 Nov 2008

"Oh yes she did" "Oh no she didn't.." (that time 'o' year again!!)

It's a TomTom One, Anchor. Two + years old. Does it's job. Just a normal SD card prob cost about a tenner should be ok, shouldn't it? Just had a look here
click here
crikey, a LOT cheaper than I thought!

A
xx

Technotiger 11:08 27 Nov 2008

Go for the first one in your link - not the others, as they are SDHC!

AngeTheHippy 11:30 27 Nov 2008

8-D

xx

AngeTheHippy 11:32 27 Nov 2008

prices widely differing from £379 to £479 for same product. Spec seems pretty good, am wondering whether the integrated wifi will work with my current router which is a Netgear Super-G - DG834GT. Cannot afford to update all that equipment too,

anchor 15:46 27 Nov 2008

AngeTheHippy: oops!, sorry. Blame on my other half; she was in a hurry for me to take her out Xmas shopping.

My advice still stands, get a fast card, something like this:

click here

I strongly recommend before doing anything, you copy the entire contents of your existing card onto your PC. Then, copy this onto your new card, keeping the original backup safe for possible future use.

Using TomTom Home, you can then check for updates for the new card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?