My joystick is a bit too stiff

Cybermaxx 21:48 16 Aug 2006

Seriously! Bought it years ago, hardly used. Now I've dusted it off to play Flight Simulator 2004, and like I said, it's a bit too stiff. Not in all directions, but it is a bit awkward. It's a Saitek Cyborg 3D Rumbleforce. Any lubricants or whatever I can use on the base without wrecking it?

ade.h 22:00 16 Aug 2006

I don't know what I can say to that that would not result in my post getting deleted!

I don't think that lubricant would be a good idea in case it harmed the electrical parts or damaged the plastic. Some oils can seep through plastic.

I guess it'll soften up with use.

SG Atlantis® 22:06 16 Aug 2006

Yeah play it with enough and it'll go soft.

click here you might need RSI bandages.

ade.h 22:13 16 Aug 2006

Lend it to Wolfie for use with Halo. He'll put some mileage on it for you!

mole44 08:14 17 Aug 2006

you will probably find in the joystick software or on flight sim 2004,the ability to adjust said joystick settings to make it stiffer/looser

Cybermaxx 12:56 17 Aug 2006

Hmmm, I don't think so, mole. It's the actual plastic or the spring that's at fault. It isn't bad, really, just a bit off-putting when there are so many controls/gauges to keep an eye on. This is the same model of joystick, btw.

click here

Btw2, Flight Simulator 2004 isn't really as exciting as the blurb on the CD case suggests!

wee eddie 15:36 17 Aug 2006

Primarily used by locksmiths.

Sold in little Puffer Packs. However, you will have to keep it away from any electrical contacts. Just puff a little into the joint.

Diemmess 16:50 17 Aug 2006

Assume it is sticky rather than too strong a spring.
I would be cautious about graphite which is a conductor.
How about a gentle squirt with a silicone spray?
This is available at most motor accessory shops. Just the stuff for a slippery surface on plastics and wood. Don't overdo it, but the solvent doesn't affect plastic and the residue remains for ages.
Excellent for lubricating the runners on sticky drawers too.

wolfie3000 00:02 18 Aug 2006

Ade.h LOL!!!

My advise for a stiff joystick is to wiggle it for a while and i am being serious.

I expect dust and other bits has gotten into it,
If your feeling brave enough you could open it up and give it a clean out.

Other than that buy a new one as they are pretty cheap to get.

driving man 10:38 18 Aug 2006

try a little squirt-------------------------of WD40 - wont harm plastics or electrics
PS its great for upvc window frames as well

Cybermaxx 22:25 18 Aug 2006

WD40! That's done it. Put some on the spring and gave it a good waggle, and it's definitely better now. thanks for all the hints.

Shame FS 2004 is so dull, though......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone