My HP laptop freezes up when opening picture folde

Peterfonda 16:24 27 Apr 2009

Hello, I have a fairly new (bought last september) HP Pavilion DV6500 laptop and i'm using this for among other things , storing photos. When I have recently tried to open certain picture folders (not all of them), they do not fully open and the whole laptop freezes, causing me to switch it off and back on. could anyone suggest what this problem might be, or more importantly how to get rid of it?
I am a relative beginner, this is the first real problem I have come across.
thanks in advance, i will try to provide more detailed information if requested

wee eddie 10:37 28 Apr 2009

Relatively small quantity of RAM ~ Large folder containing high resolution pictures.

Possible solution ~ Change the default Folder Display Setting from 'Filmstrip' or 'Thumbnails' to 'List' in 'View' on the Toolbar.

Peterfonda 14:57 28 Apr 2009

Thanks, however I tried altering the "view" format to "list" in one of the faulty folders, but a few seconds later the whole laptop locked up on me again. do you have any other suggestions about what might be causing this?
thanks

Pineman100 17:30 28 Apr 2009

How much RAM has the machine got?

Do the offending folders hold a lot of data?

Peterfonda 22:00 28 Apr 2009

the folders hold a lot of pictures (up to 134MB) however one only holds 174 pictures (10.1MB)
As for the RAM, I cannot remember, I knew this when I bought it. How can I find this out? let me know and i'll get back to you, thanks.

wee eddie 22:58 28 Apr 2009

and it will tell you all you need to know in seconds.

click here

Peterfonda 23:06 28 Apr 2009

thanks , the Belarc Advisor is downloaded, now what info do I need?

wee eddie 23:08 28 Apr 2009

Vista needs a lot to run and if many of the Pictures are in RAW Format they may be giving it indigestion

wee eddie 23:13 28 Apr 2009

Such as: What programs do you have loading on Opening and/or Running when the Freeze occurs.

To find out Press these Keys at the same time. (I am assuming that this will work with Vista as it used to with all the previous iterations of Windows)

Ctrl + Alt + Del.

Peterfonda 08:53 29 Apr 2009

Hello again, I closed down all other programs, Internet, everything and checked Task Manager to make sure. Then tried to open one of the dodgy folders and the same thing happened i'm afraid. whats infuriating is that this came out of the blue, the picture folders were all fine one minute, then this startred happening. Nothing was altered, no files were added or deleted.
any other ideas? thanks again

wee eddie 10:08 29 Apr 2009

You haven't said how much RAM your machine has?

What Anti Virus and Anti Malware Software are you running? While I don't think that an infection would do this, it's just possible.

Does this happen to any Folders other than those holding Images?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?