My HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H53N can't read CD-R

GShepherd 05:44 04 Oct 2008

I have a HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H53N from Dell. It can only read original discs, but not CD-R. Whenever I insert a CD-R onto the DVD tray, my PC indicates there is no disc there. I suspect it is the firmware because Dell just replaced my broken DVD drive with H53N 3 months ago. Does anyone know what is wrong with this H53N drive or where I can find the latest firmware to download? Thank you

johndrew 09:38 04 Oct 2008

If Dell have just replaced it (under warranty?) then your best option is to go back to them. If you take action - like a firmware update - and it fails, they may wash their hands of it.

GShepherd 16:17 04 Oct 2008

My PC is no longer under warranty. Dell replaced the DVD drive one day before the warranty expired.

Joe R 20:45 04 Oct 2008

GShepherd,

assuming you are running XP, have you tried accessing my computer-right click on the drive-open properties-tick enable cd recording.

brundle 21:10 04 Oct 2008

The above will have no effect at all. DVD/CD drives uses a separate laser for each type of disc. Sounds as though the CD reader has failed in your replacement drive. DVDRW drives are pretty low cost these days; click here

GShepherd 02:54 05 Oct 2008

The drive can read original CD and DVD. However, if it is a burned CD (CD-R), the drive doesn't recognize the disc. That leads me to believe I may need to update the firmware, but I just couldn't locate it.

GShepherd 02:54 05 Oct 2008

The drive can read original CD and DVD. However, if it is a burned CD (CD-R), the drive doesn't recognize the disc. That leads me to believe I may need to update the firmware, but I just couldn't locate it.

100andthirty 08:04 05 Oct 2008

will it read CR-R's it's recorded?

will another computer play the CD-R's.

you've obviously latched onto the idea of firmware, but this would be unusual in my experience.

I suspect the CD-R's might not be "finalised", especially if recorded on something else.

GShepherd 17:22 05 Oct 2008

The drive can't read recorded CD-R, but the same CD-R can be played bt other computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?