My HDTV won't work on my PC anymore

vanila 08:31 01 Feb 2007

I recently bought a sharp LC32SD1E TV. I was told to put my PC into safe mode and then reboot so I could set up my PC on my new TV. This worked perfectly and I had no trouble for about a month. Last night when I came to turn my PC on. The screen was distorted. The top half of the screen was repeated on the bottom half. I tried changing the resolution and nothing happened. I plugged in my old PC monitor and that works fine. So I think it must be my TV. I did try restarting and pressing F8 to load safe mode again but my PC wouldn't load the boot mode. It makes loud noises as though it's just been turned on. I don't get the problem when I'm booting, the screen is normal.

I REALLY need help on this. Any would be much appreciated. Thanks

andrew-196854 12:11 01 Feb 2007

what graphic card have you got have you updated the drivers for it

vanila 13:15 01 Feb 2007

I have a GeForce 4 and I have the most recently updated drivers for it. I've had a suggestion of 'Restart windows in Safe Mode' by going into MSConfig. But if that doesn't work then I've got no more ideas

andrew-196854 13:23 01 Feb 2007

i see if you want my opinion ,i think your tv might be to much for your graphic card as they are quiet old now may be a new one with better connections such as dvi then you could convert the singal to hdmi with would be able to cope with better resolutions , you can get a adapter to do this only a idea others may differ

vanila 19:00 01 Feb 2007

I've tried rebooting in safe mode and nothing happened. I'm going to take your advice and get a new graphics card. Any inofrmation or recommendations on which one to get would be fantastic

vanila 19:00 01 Feb 2007

I've tried rebooting in safe mode and nothing happened. I'm going to take your advice and get a new graphics card. Any inofrmation or recommendations on which one to get would be fantastic

andrew-196854 09:08 02 Feb 2007

before you go buying a graphic card, you need to know the spec of you machine ie make model etc ,try running this program click here download it then run it you want to be looking for mainboard or motherboard ,then there will be a model number post back with it ,then i will be able to tell you what you need.

vanila 12:51 04 Feb 2007

I've had a bit of a break-through. Nothing brilliant though. But basically my TV used to display my PC in VGA mode, but had changed to SVGA and XGA for some unknown reason. I booted my PC on a normal PC monitor and pressed F8. I got to the boot menu fine and selected Boot in VGA mode. This has worked (Kindof), I now get a full screen. The only new problem is that I have everything MASSIVE on my screen and if I change my resolution to something smaller. I get my original problem of the 2 half screens. I still wouldn't mind getting a new graphics card anyway to sore the problem completely and to be a bit more upto date. Preferably an Nvidia geforce 6 or 7. (Ebuyer sells them cheap :D) but heres my model number etc.

Property Value
Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Model Snapper
Version HP P/N

Chipset Vendor Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)
Chipset Model SiS661FX CPU to PCI Bridge
South Bridge PCI to ISA Bridge

CPU Intel Celeron D
Cpu Socket Socket 478
Processor Upgrade ZIF Socket
Max CPU Speed 3200 MHz

System Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP

andrew-196854 08:58 06 Feb 2007

so looking at that then you need a agp graphic card i would suggest a few but with out knowing your budget cannot say , would you be fitting it your self ?

vanila 12:36 06 Feb 2007

Yeah I'll be doing it myself. I was hoping for around the £30 - £50 mark on price

andrew-196854 17:21 06 Feb 2007

maybe this one then click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?