Is my Hard Drive dead? Help me!!

Zuxmo 06:25 06 Apr 2015

Hi guys, so I woke up this morning and was doing my usual thing on my laptop when it bluescreened and came up with this notice:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (Build 083) Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

This Product is covered by one or more of the following US Patents: US5,307,459, US5,434,872, US5,732,094, US6,570,884, US6,115,776, and US6,327,625

RealTek PCIe FE Family Controller Series v1.24 (10/07/10) PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pretty sure she's dead but I have some recent stuff that wasn't backed up that I need to recover. Could anyone please tell me what this error means?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:40 06 Apr 2015

It means that the BIOS is not detecting the hard drive

first job is to remove and refit to remake the connection it might just have come loose.

Frost_WD 15:37 08 Apr 2015

Hi Zuxmo,

As @Fruit Bat suggested you should see if all the cables are properly connected. If the problem persists, you could try the drive with different cables and in a different SATA port (ideally on a different machine). You could also consider connecting the drive externally via a docking station or a SATA to USB connector. See if the drive is recognized in disk management, device manager and BIOS. If you can see the drive, test it with a brand specific diagnostic tool to see its health. You can post the SMART data here if anything is unclear. As for the information I would suggest giving Linux Live CD/USB a try as it brings no risk of data corruption or data loss, you will either see your drive and access it or you won't. Another option would be using third-party recovery software, however, there is no guarantee that you will get your data back and the software itself could cause data corruption or data loss. If the information is critical you could contact a data recovery company. After you get your data back you could give the “checkdisk” command a try. It will force the system to attempt to recover any bad sectors that are on the drive, but that is neither a fix nor is it safe to the data stored on the drive. It would be best if you consider replacing the drive.

Keep us posted, Frost_WD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?