Is my hard drive dead?

Bailey08787 16:22 29 Nov 2006

Hi

The power lead was inadvertently taken out of an internal 200gb hard drive the other day whilst the pc was on. It was a drive that contain media files mostly.

The drive has now developed a loud clicking noise, before dying and then seizing up the rest of my machine.

I've copied all the data over to another drive, so everything is safe in that respect.

I'm just wondering whether I can salvage this drive, or if its only now fit for the scrap heap?

Diodorus Siculus 16:30 29 Nov 2006

I'd say goodbye to the disk to be honest; it may be possible to salvage it but I wouldn't feel safe if I were to rely on it for anything.

crosstrainer 16:59 29 Nov 2006

If the drive is making loud clicking noises, then it is almost certainly dead... classic sympton of dying / dead drives those clicks.

Diemmess 17:08 29 Nov 2006

Was that just good back up routine or did it give you a few minutes before quitting?

It was certainly a mortal wound if it pulled the power supply down with it. I assume everything is back to normal again if you remove the power cable from the drive. It might have been much worse!

Bailey08787 18:26 29 Nov 2006

luckily for me the drive puts in anywhere between 30 mins to several hours before starting to click / freeze my system. So that gave me enough time to copy data over to another drive.

(i'm not particularly reliable in terms of backing up my data).

its been disconnected now for a few weeks, and I guess I'll just leave it that way.

goodbye my 200 gigger :'-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone