is my hard drive dead???

knotty718 20:54 05 Feb 2006

hi there, i have a problem with my parents pc.
they told me that when they tried switching it on, there was nothing, so after i looked, i replaced the old 230w psu with a 300w psu.
we now have power, but the pc fails to boot up, as if the hard drive is dead. the h/d led is on all of the time even if no power connector is removed, just to leave the ribbon cable attached.the monitor led just flashes. there is no noise or attempt to do anything from the h/d. i quickly checked all the usual stuff, e.g seating of cards and cables etc, but to no avail.
Any ideas???
m/board???? h/d????
Any help is appreciated.

wobblymike 21:19 05 Feb 2006

Disconnect everything except cpu, graphics card and memory and switch on - does it boot the monitor if not - try replacing RAM, then if graphics on board try a plug in card pci will do to test, if still no joy down to mobo or cpu.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:20 05 Feb 2006

With Ide cables removed from HDD will it boot to "No operating system found " message on monitor?

knotty718 21:25 05 Feb 2006

hiya, i tried booting it quickly with only the basics u said wobblymike, the monitor led changed from orange to a flashing green, but there was nothing on the screen.

i admit i didnt take the ide cable out, as it didnt spin or make any noise what so ever.

wobblymike 21:34 05 Feb 2006

ok
try reseating your RAM modules before you do anything else

knotty718 21:35 05 Feb 2006

mike, i tried reseating everything on m/b, but it made no difference.

woodchip 21:37 05 Feb 2006

I would say the PSU as blown the MOBO

wobblymike 21:39 05 Feb 2006

doesn't sound too good does it - if you have tried booting from bare minimum with no joy it looks like you may have either a dead mobo or a dead cpu - been there myself. Before you go down this toad it would be well worth borrowing a stick of RAM just tp satisfy youraself that your ram module is ok ditto with a different driver for your graphics what do you currently have onboard or agp?

knotty718 21:40 05 Feb 2006

i know its a horrible thought woodchip, but it had crossed my mind.

Zeppelyn 21:42 05 Feb 2006

Knotty,

Was machine in everyday or occasional use ?
Was it working perfectly prior to power problem ?
What motherboard and cpu ?
Do you have spare hard disk to try ?

knotty718 21:42 05 Feb 2006

its a agp graphics card,(think its a gforce 256 annilator pro. excuse spelling, i know it old, but its always been ok till now.) it just seems weird that the h/d seems completely dead, no noise no spinning etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?