Is my hard drive 5400 or 7200 RPM?

Cybermaxx 19:27 26 Jan 2004

Okay, my PC has a factory fitted Seagate ST360012A 60GB hard drive. According to the Seagate website this drive is in the 5400 RPM class, as are all the drives in this series (also known as the U7 series).

A few days ago I ran a program called Aida32. It provided detailed information on the components which make up my PC. According to it, my hard drive is a 7200 RPM drive! All the other data looks to be correct.

I e-mailed Seagate to tell me the true figure, and here is the reply:-
"The official answer is 5400 for all U series drives. They may have used a motor from the later model drives when making your drive. Your software is probably correct."

Has anyone ever come across a case of this happening before? It sounds a bit fishy to me!

Cybermaxx 20:40 26 Jan 2004

Er, bump?

Djohn 20:44 26 Jan 2004

I believe something similar happened with AMD processors, and still does every now and then.
I read about it at the overclockers forum last year.

Apparently what happened was that AMD had in stock thousands of CPU's at a high clock speed. [Think it was 2800] But no buyers because of the high price, and thousands of customers both private and commercial wanting the lower speed 2400.

AMD just lowered the clock cycle and sold the 2800 as 2400 and at the lower price. You just had to know what the batch numbers was and bingo! You had yourself a bargain. j.

DieSse 20:59 26 Jan 2004

I've looked at what AIDA provides on my system, and I don't think it's doing any measurements - in fact I don't think it's possible to actually measure the spin speed. Maybe it's possible to measure other things and infer the spin speed - or maybe they're looking in their model database and quoting it, or looking on the drive at some recorded details and quoting them.

Seagate's response seems a bit odd though!

Anyway, I wouldn't worry - your drive may just be better than it should be - for sure it isn't worse!

Cybermaxx 22:19 26 Jan 2004

I actually think it is a 5400 RPM drive. I just don't understand Seagate's rather vague reply. Every reference to this drive that I've found online states that it is a 5400 RPM drive.

accord 22:30 26 Jan 2004

Djohn

ive read that about AMD aswell.

woodchip 22:33 26 Jan 2004

It's what's called overlap, when change to a new line. They use other components it also happens in the car industry

Cybermaxx 22:39 26 Jan 2004

Well, does anyone else own one of these hard drives? If you have, please try out Aida32 and see what the result is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?