My first website - comments welcomed

flick 00:42 07 Dec 2004

I have just put up my first website and can already see there is room for improvement e.g. pages with a lot of thumbnails take a while to load and I think I should break them down into more manageable sizes.
I would appreciate any comments or criticisms anyone might have on the style or layout. The address is click here

flick 10:39 07 Dec 2004

Thank you for your comments, fourm member. I agree with everything you say. Using NOF8 photo gallery meant that a lot of the basic design was already done for me but that also means I can't alter some things I don't like.

For example, I would have liked to use a simpler border for the thumbnails, but it's then impossible to tile them evenly across the page.

I like the facility to scroll through the larger images, but dislike the fact that if the images are centred, the scroll arrows move around depending on whether the image is portrait or landscape.

I'm not sure how to resolve the issue of the black area to the right of the table. Personally, I can't stand websites that require me to scroll to the right to see the whole page and if the 'favourites' column is showing and the table were centred, then scrolling would be needed.

Now that I have an idea about the basic concepts, I can have a go at designing something to meet our specific needs.

I will pass on your compliments to my husband re the photos. I can't take credit for them - I'm just the tripod holder (and sometimes the tripod!). Iceland has some spectacular scenery so it's not too difficult to find subjects to photograph.

flick 12:38 07 Dec 2004

I'll look into the relative size issue. I do appreciate there is a lot more to NOF than I have so far discovered.

For watermarking, I used Adobe photoshop elements (came with the camera - a Nikon D100)
Using the text tool, type in desired wording on image, select it, select Effects - Clear Embossed, and Apply. Select and then resize.

It's a bit fiddly, especially when doing a lot of them, but does the job.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?