My first very simple website

isie1980 13:28 14 Jan 2007

I bought a domain name for something like £12 for a year.
I now need to set up a site and came across 1and1. All the site needs to be, to begin with, is a short form where visitors can leave contact details so I can post out some information.
That's it. I figure it is easier to use my ad-cards and car ad to direct people to an easily memorable web address that to my voicemail number which I can't even remember!
What's the simplest and cheapest way to set this up?
I have zero web knowledge and ideally want a webhost with a very simple template step-by-step process.
Thanks, Isie

Forum Editor 14:24 14 Jan 2007

will supply you with a selection of site templates; all you have to do is add the text and images, and the host does the rest.

That's certainly the case with my favourite web host click here

isie1980 09:25 15 Jan 2007

Thanks both.
I had a play yesterday and came up with this site
click here but this is a freebie filled with ads. Good practice though.
And I get the point about info. I'll put together a few pages about the business opportunity. At least that way I won't be wasting my info packs on people who aren't genuinely interested!
Thanks for your help. I've seen heartinternet recommended a few times so I'll take a look.
Cheers for your help.
Isie

isie1980 09:15 22 Jan 2007

Help!
I've signed up with heartinternet (recommended here)for the most basic hosting package and now I don't know what to do!
I really need a step by step template to build my site because I am very much a beginner, but while there are lots of templates these download as .zip files and then I don't know what to do with them.
Can anyone help?

Forum Editor 00:40 23 Jan 2007

have something called 'Web builder' at bottom right?

isie1980 11:35 23 Jan 2007

Nope, web-builder isn't included with the basic package. Should I upgrade and use that?

isie1980 15:25 27 Jan 2007

It's gone a bit quiet.

I've looked at xara webstyle which came free with the magazine, but I don't know how to pull the images together into a webpage!

Can anyone suggest some simple software where I really can produce a webpage-by-numbers?

alB 17:02 27 Jan 2007

Try this free package from Serif, don't have any experience of it myself but I have used other software from them in the past...alB

click here

mco 19:38 27 Jan 2007

Go for the program suggested by isie1980 - a good free 'way in'. Xara webstyle is for making banners and navigation bars not websites - but you'll be able to do all of that with serif webplus 6 .

isie1980 18:49 28 Jan 2007

I'll let you know how I get on...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?