My firefox is on a go slow compared to IE, why?

Pooke 11:51 28 Jun 2005

Did a speed test and it came back at 1.8 meg which is normal. But IE seems to load pages alot faster than FF at the moment. FF also takes a while to load when I click the shortcut in the the quicklaunch bar.

I have tried the same sites in both browsers and FF is slow now compared to what I am used to with the browser.

It's on XP home sp2. and I am using the latest version of FireFox.

octal 12:44 28 Jun 2005

I haven't got an answer at the moment, just a quick question. Is this a recent occurrence or has it always been like that?

octal 12:58 28 Jun 2005

This might be worth trying:

click here

Or you can download an extension which does the same: click here

Some people it works for, some it doesn't, it didn't make ant difference at all to my speed but it may for you..

flimbo 13:57 28 Jun 2005

Or you could try Firetune - optimizes Firefox for faster browsing.
click here

Pooke 16:22 28 Jun 2005

Recent, like just last night.

I'll have a go with the other stuff you've posted and flimbo's aswell. Many Thanks.

Just a thought would it be something to do with ms antispyware flagging up ist.istbar? It found 2 registry entries and that was all, no trace of it since and I have scanned with spybot, adaware and my AV: all is clean. The only thing I'm suffering is FF being slow.

Pooke

octal 17:31 28 Jun 2005

flimbo's link does exactly the same as mine, but prettily.

I wouldn't have though finding those entries would have had an affect, but at this stage I wouldn't discount anything.

I'll have a think and come back to you, in the meantime someone else might have an idea.

octal 17:46 28 Jun 2005

I've been browsing the Mozillazine forums, there are a few references to FF being slow, but only one I could find specifically relating to your problem:

click here

I typed in 'slow' in the search and this is the rest of the postings, you'll see what I mean. click here

It might be worth asking on mozillazine as well.

octal 17:49 28 Jun 2005

They've also got a useful rendering test link on that page as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone