my F: drive, a dvd installed rom has disappeared!

mesmd 09:40 05 Jun 2007

Hi you guys,

I have no Idea but believe after using a flash drive in my USb port, and then removing it safely with the launh bar hardware removal icon,my computer no longer recognizes my original F: Dvd drive!!!
I have a Win Xp SP@ home Pentium 4 with 512 mb ram, A C: 80gb HD, a D: 80gb HD and E: a CD rewrite F: my DVD read only drive H: an external DVD rewrite drive.

Everything was working and stil is working well. My only problem is that my computer does not show my F: drive any longer. It is also missing from Disk mamagement!
I keep my computer weell scanned for all viruses and scumware daily. I also run Registry Booster 2 once - twice weekly and defrag the HD nightly.

Is there a way to get my F: drive re-recognized by my OS? And what happened to it? I believe 2 weeks ago I used it last with no problem; now it does not get recognized!!!

Pleas let me know what any of your thoughts are for fixing this problem?

The simpler, the better!! Maybe there is a utility program you may know that I can run to get this DVD drive recognized again?

I tried M$ and I certainly do not want to mess with the following if possible:

click here

Thanks for any help!!

Miles

xania 09:45 05 Jun 2007

My only advice is to make sure you back-up your registry before you attempt any modifications. That way, you'll be able to get back if anything goes wrong.

mesmd 10:00 05 Jun 2007

Thanks xania,
I don't want to fool around with the registry, if there is a better way. Are you hinting that I will have to edit the registry to remedy this problem? Is there not an easier way with a utility or program that can be used to fix this?

Thanks again for any help.

I do know that I would have to make a backup of the registry if I had to edit such a database!!!

Miles

Diemmess 10:52 05 Jun 2007

Have you tried the time-honoured method of disconnecting the missing drive, (data and power leads) and rebooting.

Nothing will change by doing this, but Windows wont even look for it.

Switch off, reconnect, and switch on again.
If you are lucky, Win will announce new hardware and install the drive for you once more.

~~~~~~~~~~
2 Questions:

1) Does the drive show any lights or sounds of activity at all?

2) Are you quite sure that the drive is missing and hasn't been just granted a different drive letter?

mesmd 11:38 05 Jun 2007

Diemmess,
The light goes on when I open and insert a disk.
I am positive that it was not renamed as I tried all
thr drives shown in Disk management that were labtkked cd attached drives and the correct ones opened, etc.My F: drive with a data disk never showed a light or any mo9venenf. It is just not being recognized anymore for whatever reason ??

Thanks for any further advice.

Miles

johnnyrocker 11:48 05 Jun 2007

does the drive appear in device manager? if so try delete and reboot or system restore to before problem?

johnny.

Whaty 13:26 05 Jun 2007

I've had a similar problem with a card reader. The card reader insists on assigning the drive letters E, F, G and H, trouble is, this also corresponds to some mapped drives (F, G and H).

You may find that if you go into Device Manager the flash drive has disabled your CD Rewriter (F) and it may be as simple as re-enabling it..

Good luck,
Terry

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 05 Jun 2007

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
(This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)
click here
Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.
This utility is only intended for Windows® XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

or
Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

Stuartli 15:39 05 Jun 2007

I have two card readers - one is a 7-in-1 and the other a 19-in-1.

XP recognises either instantly and assigns the correct drive letters for whichever one is in use.

Whaty 20:39 05 Jun 2007

Stuartli, I have a 17 - 1 card reader which assigns 4 drive letters.

I have no problem at home but at work my PC has:

A - Floppy
C - HD
D - CD/DVD
F - A mapped drive on the server
G - A mapped drive on the server
H - A mapped drive on the server
Z - A mapped drive on the server

When I connect the card reader it assigns E, F, G and H and whilst it is connected I do not have access to the mapped drives on the server. After removing the card reader I either have to repair the mapping to each drive or restart my PC, in which case it re-maps the drives automatically.

I only mentioned it because it was an easy thing to check, and easy to rectify if indeed it was the problem.

Have to say though, I've never had the problem with a USB flash drive and I've used a number of different ones both at home and at work?

Terry

mesmd 22:08 05 Jun 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/\,
Thank you and the other guys for your support.
Will the XP_CD-Dvd-Fix.Zip, when used after unziping,
do the same as the registry correction you listed below.
I rather have a program mess with the registry than me!!!
I know that the DVD drive I'm missing was not renamed, does not show up in Devive manager, or Disk Management.
Will this XP_CD-DVD-Fix cause any other problems with the registry or my other installed drives?

Thank you again,

Miles

PS. I have downloaded t and will wait for you to confirm my inquiry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone