my excel document has changed to a file and I can't open it

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 01:29 26 Jul 2013

hello all

Im sorry cos not sure if this is the best forum to use but I am really stuck.

I started a document in Microsoft excel until end of trial period and have modified it in open office ended.

Anyway everything all good. finished the work and have come to print it now ...BUT document has saved as 'file' and icon is just a piece of paper. Properties still say its an excel file.

It is a years worth of work that has to be handed to accountant tomorrow so I am really really desperate

Chronos the 2nd 05:31 26 Jul 2013

Use a free office program. I use this at the moment Kingsoft. This is a small suite but contains a spreadsheet program which will open your Excel worksheet.

But there are other office suites that are free, just have a look on google.

lotvic 07:52 26 Jul 2013

First make a copy of the file

Now only work with the copy you have made. Leave the original intact so that you can always go back and make another copy to work with as you try out solutions.

Try: rename the copy (just add copy or something to the original name) and change the file ext back to .xlsx if that is what it should be.

Now try opening the copy file.

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 10:05 26 Jul 2013

sorry chaps but this is not going to work.

File is on a flash drive. in 'Type' (of file) all other files are excel except the one I need. This says 'File' It won't open copy rename. Nothing. In its properties it says 'file type:file'

Chronos the 2nd 10:14 26 Jul 2013

Can you plug your USB stick in open it then take a screenshot of the contents and post it here so we can see what exactly you mean. You might need to do this to show file extensions.

lotvic 11:05 26 Jul 2013

Did you try: rightclick on the document and choose 'Open With' and then browse to Excel on the list.

I have just done that with an excel file that I removed the ext so that it showed as 'Type: File' and it opened okay. In Windows Explorer it still shows as 'Type: File' with no extension.

Just to clarify, are you using MS Office Excel still? or a freebie Open Office?

alanrwood 18:50 26 Jul 2013

He says his Excel license has expired as it was a trial version so asking him to open it in Excel is not possible as far as I know. Can anyone confirm or deny this as I am not 100% sure.

Anyway if he used Open Office to modify it he should be able to open it in Open Office. Not sure what the file extension for a spreadsheet is in Open Office but I would rename it with trhat extension and try opening it in Open Office. The advice to only work on a copy of the file is excellent.

alanrwood 18:51 26 Jul 2013

He says his Excel license has expired as it was a trial version so asking him to open it in Excel is not possible as far as I know. Can anyone confirm or deny this as I am not 100% sure.

Anyway if he used Open Office to modify it he should be able to open it in Open Office. Not sure what the file extension for a spreadsheet is in Open Office but I would rename it with that extension and try opening it in Open Office. The advice to only work on a copy of the file is excellent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?