Is my DVD writer Failing.

carper 12:56 28 Oct 2008

Hi, I have just tried to write a DVD after doing a full edit with Movie Plus 5. I have gone through the sequence required i.e. Export/render/initialize and then nothing happens when it reaches the write stage. I can't remove the disc until I have restarted my PC. When I use Deep Burner pro similar things happen and there is nothing on the disc when it ejects. If it failing what is a good recommendation for a new writer. Any help appreciated. Regards Carper

crosstrainer 14:36 28 Oct 2008

They are pretty cheap:

click here

As long as you have a standard bay free any of the above will work.

You could try one last thing before binning the old drive.

Open up device mangager, scroll to your DVD drive, right click and choose remove.

Re-boot the PC and see if your drive has come back to life...could be a flaky driver.

Technotiger 14:39 28 Oct 2008

Could also be something as simple as the Laser needing cleaning. Cleaning CDs are only about £5, or maybe less.

carper 09:44 29 Oct 2008

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestions. Other forums have suggested that my PSU might not be up to it as I have added a lot of extras since my PC was new and I run my video editing on an external 320gig hard drive so I think I will try renewing the PSU first. The existing PSU is only 250. I'l post back is that is the answer. Thanks again carper

carper 16:31 01 Nov 2008

Took the coward's way out.
Replaced PSU and writer and everything perfect now. Thanks for your suggestions Regards Carper

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone