Is my dvd burner kaput?

QinesiQ 23:48 02 Jan 2008

(Probably!)

Hi & Nappy New Year!

My dvd burner will not recognise its usual (preferred) blank media (error = insert blank dvd even though one is present and the pop-up menu that asks what you want to do with the blank media does not appear). When a blank dvd is inserted the
light comes on and disk spins light goes off for a bit and then light will come back on and disk spins again. It also has a lot of problems reading/recognising pre-recorded music CD and movie discs. The movie plays/stutters frame by frame then freezes. I don’t have a data disk on hand to try so I do not know if it will have problems with this also.

I tried a firmware upgrade and I tried deleting/reinstalling the drive and I still have the same problems. I can’t find a read/write diagnostic software and there are no problems indicated in device manager.

Is it the laser? Is it out of alignment?
Thanks

DieSse 01:15 03 Jan 2008

Is it the laser?

Maybe - it may be dirty, or it may be failing.

Is it out of alignment?

Maybe (but unlikely)- but even if it is there is nothing you can do about it.

If you try cleaning it, and that doesn't work - then a new drive is called for. Fortunately they're not too expensive theses days.

Is it under warranty - or at least reasonably new?

€dstowe 06:44 03 Jan 2008

Considering you can buy a DVD writer for less than £20, it isn't worth the hassle of repairing/checking/updating firmware.

QinesiQ 23:51 03 Jan 2008

for confirming. I feel better replacing it knowing that it was nothing silly or that I've overlooked.

Thanks again for responding

Stuartli 00:34 04 Jan 2008

The most likely reason is that the DVD or CD laser has gone kaput.

The need to use a laser cleaner is very rare as optical drives are very well sealed and are usually only open for the short time the tray is used to insert or remove a disk.

Firmware updates are also rarely needed - it's usually to do with creating the ability to handle faster write speeds.

Rewriters have a very much shorter life span than basic CD or DVD-ROM drives - that's why it's best to use rewriters purely for burning and a DVD-ROM drive for playing audio CDs, installing software etc.

Re Device Manager. It will indicate a drive is OK, in my experience, even if it is not working ...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?