My Documents folder vanished, and files gone too

User-1293742 07:48 10 Sep 2008

Last night my girlfriend informed me that her My Documents folder was empty. It also no longer appears on My Computer. She does have a My Documents folder but it appears the same as when you start Windows for the very first time or adda new user. She is computer savvy enough not to simply delete the folder and all contents! At the moment I am using a free recovery program to try and recove files (about 16000 which I'll ave to sort through). Her wallpaper has remained though and I am fairly certain it is from a Jpeg that was in her My Documents folder. Does that mean it is still there somewhere? I've tried teh view hidden files/folders and in the c:/documents and settings/ there are two folders with her name (slight variations, one has her surname) and neither contains all her files. She desperately needs the data. Any help will be much appreciated!

Halmer 07:54 10 Sep 2008

a system restore (yesterday's if there is one)?

User-1293742 08:55 10 Sep 2008

Unfortunately, this could have happened any time in the last week as she doesnt use the computer that often. She only informed me last night and said it happened "the other day". I'll give it a go tonight (i'm at a work computer at the moment).
Cheers

birdface 09:51 10 Sep 2008

Item 55.I have not tried this so do not know if it will work.click here

birdface 09:57 10 Sep 2008

Maybe run your security programs in case you have a nastie.

User-1293742 10:07 10 Sep 2008

Looking on another forum, a couple of people sound like thay have the same problem and it happened whilst searching the net
click here

This was in 2005 though. Could it be a new virus, perhaps through Facebook? I'm running Kaspersky Internet suite, latest version, so thought I would be protected. I'm running Restoration (freeware) and I left the PC trying to recover 20000 odd files when I left for work. I'll virus scan as soon as I'm home. I'm wary of altering registry as I have very little prior experience.
Thanks

birdface 11:04 10 Sep 2008

Actually I think there are a couple of threads going about at the moment with the same sort of problem.I was thinking it a bit funny it all happening about the same time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone