My Documents folder disappeared

s99Raj 16:08 17 Jan 2008

I have a SATA drive on which XP Pro is installed and recently it wouldn't start up properly. It always starts up by giving me the options of Safe Mode, Last Known Configuration, etc. and then, no matter which one I choose, it restarts in the same way.

I've tried booting into repair mode and trying fixmbr and fixboot but that hasn't sorted it.

I then removed the hard drive and installed it into a working pc to see if I could get my files off. I can see all folders such as Windows, Program Files, etc. but for some reason the DOcuments folder is not there.

Is there any way I can retrieve it?

mfletch 16:16 17 Jan 2008

Hi,

Have a look at this,

click here

lotvic 16:17 17 Jan 2008

It may be in (Disk letter) >Documents and Settings > (user name) > My Documents

SANTOS7 16:19 17 Jan 2008

STEP 1:

START > RUN > REGEDIT >

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Microsoft / Windows / Current Version / Explorer / DocFolderPaths

Once you click the DocFolderPaths folder you should see all the user's folders.

STEP 2:

Add a new string value

Value Name: your user name

Value Data: the path to your docs folder ( ex. C:\Documents and Settings\your docs folder )

Exit Registry editor and open my computer, your docs folder should now be visable.

johndrew 16:19 17 Jan 2008

Have you tried a `Repair` or sfc /scannow using your XP CD? This tell you how click here click here.

You may have damaged files which are hiding your documents folder.

The repair will not delete your files but will repair XP. The downside is that you will need to update Windows with a lot of updates. You will also need your Registration number.

SANTOS7 16:20 17 Jan 2008

AHH!!! dont think my solution will work cos HDD is not in original PC..

s99Raj 16:24 17 Jan 2008

The solutions from mfletch and SANTOS7 are the same and won't work because the HD is not in the original computer. If I put it back in there, then Windows doesn't boot up properly.

sfc /scannow didn't work either.

SANTOS7 16:34 17 Jan 2008

leave HDD in comp that recognises drive and do a scan for any folders that are called DIR

s99Raj 17:53 17 Jan 2008

How do I do a scan?
I can't get into Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?