My Documents in a different partition

fractal 11:47 18 Aug 2003

Hi,
I have heard that it is advantageous to locate your personal profile (My Docs etc) on another logiical partition on the harddrive, thereby splitting the operating system away from a users documents. Can anyone explain how easy this is to do. I run XP pro.

Will this make my documents more resistant to virus attacks?

Thanks in anticipation.

pj123 11:58 18 Aug 2003

You need a programme like Ranish (free) from click here this will enable you to split the hard drive into partitions without losing any data. Once done just transfer all personal files to the other partition. It won't make it any less vulnerable to virus attacks though.

jazzypop 12:23 18 Aug 2003

If you already have more than 1 drive or partition, simply right-click My Computer, choose Properties, and you can choose which drive to locate your My Documents folder on. Make sure you use the Move button, to relocate your existing documents.

The only thing that makes you resistant to virus attacks is a good quality anti-virus program, which is regularly updated. I prefer Norton.

fractal 15:52 20 Aug 2003

Thanks everyone for this. To be honest I tried to right click the 'My Computer' and select properties, whilst it seems to have every option available for everything else it doesn't seem to show how to change the My Docs area. Maybe I'll get it sorted one day.

jazzypop 22:39 20 Aug 2003

My mistake entirely - I meant to say right-click on 'My Documents', not 'My Computer'.

Sorry about the confusion

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache