My documents appears on startup (Vista)

Florio 10:22 12 Dec 2010

Just lately, every time I startup my computer, the My Documents folder opens.

I've already searched internet for an answer ...apparently many people have had the same problem... but I haven't been able to find a solution.

I first looked at the two most common solutions mentioned by others:

1. I ran msconfig and looked under the Startup tab. There was nothing listed that referred to My Documents or Explorer.exe.

2. I ran regedit and navigated to
HKEY_ LOCAL_ MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Win­dows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
For Userinit it said C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.e­xe, just as it should. No irregularity here...

I've also scanned my computer. And I went into Control Panel>Folder Options. Under the View tab, Restore Previous Folder Windows at Logon was/is not checked.

Does anyone know how I can prevent the My Documents folder from popping up every time? It's not a major problem, but it IS annoying. Thanks.

Florio

Simsy 10:36 12 Dec 2010

appear in the "Startup" folder, on the start menu?

I can't remember the exact path in Vista, but I suspect it's the same as XP;

Start>All Programmes>Startup.

If there is something in there, it's just a shortcut, so you can safely delete it.

With apologies if this doesn't help,

Regards,,

Simsy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:06 12 Dec 2010

Click Start then Run and type msconfig in the "Run" box...click "Ok". Click on the "Startup" tab". Look in the startup list and remove the check from the box next to EXPLORER.EXE if there, click "Apply" then "Ok". Restart your computer. Upon restart, you may get a Selective Startup dialog box...if you do, check the box in the lower left corner of the window and click "Ok".

Hold Ctrl + Alt and press Delete, then the Windows Task Manager loads up, Goto, File>New Task (Run...) then a dialog should open up Type "Regedit" then search through:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Then look for a string called "Shell" double click then another dialog should open, in the field "Value Data" type "Explorer.exe", close regedit at the top of the "windows task manager" click shut down then choose Restart, after restarting see if that works

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?