My Display Suddenly Became Wider???

IanS1 21:05 19 Aug 2008

Help!!!! I have produced a rather strange problem on my Toshiba Laptop (Satellite A100), and hope someone here can help me?

Somehow I have changed the display width. Ie, so that the screen now shows everything a bit larger and stretched slightly from left to right.

Eg - All the icons & everything on the desktop is stretched. Everything on the internet screens is stretched, eg email, all the text on the taskbar, the back-arrow etc....everything! Same if I use a program like MS Word, ie the screen display is stretched width-wise.

Everything is now slightly blurred too, so the width-wise stretch has made images larger (by say 25%) but the resolution is lower and all images have a slightly soft fuzzy look (eg all the desktop icons, all text, everything!).

I have no idea how I did this because I was not fiddling around with any complex or unusual settings, so I must have done it with one simple unintentional click somewhere??

I tried the Windows Help stuff, and tried looking at "Display Settings" and "Resolution", but it seems like you cannot change much there & I can't seem to make any difference with those things.

What have I done?!?

I hate it the way it is now!

I am using Vista Home Premium by the way.

Any and all help or ideas greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys.

MAT ALAN 21:08 19 Aug 2008

System restore or update VGA card drivers...

Eric10 21:20 19 Aug 2008

Check the screen resolution. I believe the standard resolution for this laptop should be 1280x800. If you have it set to a squarer resolution such as 1024x768 or 1280x1024 then it will be stretched to fit the screen.

Eric10 21:23 19 Aug 2008

Sorry. I missed the bit where you said you had checked the resolution but if it isn't 1280x800 then that's why it appears stretched.

IanS1 22:40 19 Aug 2008

Eric10 ... many thanks, that worked perfectly (ie changing the resolution to 1280x800).

The reason I hadn't done that before is that at first I found I could not change the resolution by dragging the scale marker ... but after your suggestion I tried it again ... it does work but there's a long delay of about 5 seconds before it responds to the dragging (very odd!?).

Anyway point is - Thanks, that worked perfectly!

Thanks also to Matt for his suggestion re. the VGA drivers (fortunately I didn't need to try that).

All the best, Ian.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?