my disk drive doesnt work. please help!

johnnyk76 18:04 27 Mar 2007

can anyone help me please? my disk drive (NEC DVD RW ND-3550A) has stopped working all of a sudden. pc only a few months old. device manager says it is working?

jack 19:17 27 Mar 2007

Explain further what is not happening
is it not reading or not wrting?
If it is a new drive- did you install it or is the PC new?
If you installed it simply make sure the ribbon cable is fully connected both ends.

Use a CD disc drive cleaner[A fiver in most Superstores] its a disk with a ittle bruch and a tubs of fluid.

And of course if all else fails at only a few months old - take it back.

skidzy 19:21 27 Mar 2007

Is the drive listed in My Computer ?

Any error codes ?

UncleP 23:07 27 Mar 2007

Something similar happened to me last week. My NEC DVD-RW (3540A) stopped responding to any disk I loaded into it. Looking at its properties in MyComputer yielded 'this drive is working properly' - not from where I'm sitting!

I suspected I knew the cause; I have a small upstairs room for my computer, domestic papers and files etc. My wife had insisted on a new carpet about 18 months ago, and I had noticed that the amount of dust around had increased noticeably (I do hoover the carpet and wipe down the furniture occasionally).

So I bought a 'CD/DVD lens cleaner', as suggested by Jack above, from the local small business suppliers. Very simple, just a CD which you place in the drive, no liquids or brushes required (so it lasts only for 30 goes). It cleans and plays you some music - and worked first time! So I'll run it every month or so to try to avoid a repetition of the fault and keep the optical surfaces clean.

Mind you, if your new computer lasted only a few months either
(a) you were a tad unlucky, or
(b) your room is knee-deep in dust, or
(c) it has a different fault.
(Sorry, I hope this doesn't come across as offensive - facetious, possibly, but not offensive).

woodchip 23:37 27 Mar 2007

It's best to only use a Cleaner as and when it's needed. as they can scratch the Laser lense

UncleP 10:16 28 Mar 2007

I'm surprised - are the optical surfaces coated?

woodchip 14:54 28 Mar 2007

Don't think so. but you should use sparingly

UncleP 03:00 01 Apr 2007

Thanks for the information - I'll try to determine the optimum interval between cleaning to minimize damage. I'm also trying to reduce the amount of dust in the computer room.

johnnyk76: my apologies for 'borrowing' your thread. Have you had any success in getting your drive operating again?

woodchip 20:20 01 Apr 2007

Smoking is one of the worst things for a computer and Hard Drive. if you had seen what I have

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?