My desktop won't connect to wireless network

paulhicko 09:19 14 Aug 2006

I set up wireless network using my daughter's laptop, an iBook G4, and a Netgear DG834G router. I then connected a Netgear Wg111v2 wireless adaptor to my windows XP desktop. After couple of months of wire-free surfing, the signal strength to the desktop began to slow, then drop, and now I can't get a signal at all. But the laptop, which has an Airport card inside, connects with no problems at all.

I've moved the router to other phone points (including one inches from the PC!), reinstalled the adaptor (several times), tried another adaptor, and been through my PC settings with the very nice people at Netgear Support. But all without success. The PC will try and detect the network. When it does detect it, the signal strength is too low to connect. Usually though, it does not detect it.

I set up the network using the laptop rather than the PC because it came with an ethernet cable which connected to the router, whereas the PC doesn't have an ethernet point.

Does anyone have any idea what could have happened?

Thanks

FelixTCat 09:43 14 Aug 2006

paulhicko,

It is possible that your wireless card has failed. I had that happen, also with a Netgear card strangely enough. Can you beg, borrow or steal a different card to try?

Regards,

Felix

paulhicko 10:48 14 Aug 2006

Thanks Felix

I tried a Cable & Wireless adaptor (just to see if that was the problem), but sadly it didn't make any difference

mgmcc 13:10 14 Aug 2006

Try deleting the "profile" in your wireless settings and then start again from scratch and see if that makes any difference.

katebush 21:55 15 Aug 2006

It may be that your PC platform became noisy (RF noise). Try to use external antenna or try to work with PC box opened.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone