my desktop icons and task bar come and go

kate53 02:52 17 Nov 2007

My desktop icons come and go. They stay on the screen about 10 seconds go off then back on. System Restore only shows one restore point. I tried it no luck. It's like a neon sign. Can anyone tell me what is causing this and what I might try to fix it.

Technotiger 08:19 17 Nov 2007

You could try one or more of these to repair your icon cache ..

click here

birdface 09:22 17 Nov 2007

Have you tried right clicking in the middle of the screen.Arrange Icons by.And make sure Desktop Icons is ticked.

kate53 07:13 18 Nov 2007

I have tried all the things that you have mentioned. I don't think it is really an icon problem. My task bar also goes. The desktop backgound stays but that is it. After awhile it all stays off unless I restart the computer. If I open a program on my computer it also goes. I can however go to internet sites and they don't seem to go off. I don't have a clue what else to try.

Technotiger 08:26 18 Nov 2007

Hi kate53, read through this whole thread (from another forum), it starts off with exactly the same problem as yourself - and ends up with what appears to be the ONLY solution (I have checked on many other forums as well) ...

click here

kate53 06:09 19 Nov 2007

Thank you Technotiger, I was thinking that was probably what I was going to have to do. I hate to go there but I have to do something. I am working on backing up my files. Thanks again.

Technotiger 07:22 19 Nov 2007

OK, good luck.

Once everything is finally sorted and settled, I think you should treat yourself to Acronis True Image and an external USB hard drive. Then, with regular full back-ups you will never need to worry about this sort of thing again.

The peace of mind that Acronis gives is worth its weight in gold!

If you are now finished with this thread, may I remind you about the Green tick - Resolved!!

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?