Is my current desktop too old to install Windows 7

Stressed Mum 20:49 31 Aug 2010

My current desktop Dell Dimension 5150 is almost 5 years old. Admittedly I have had a few problems in the past with it - mainly due I think to me tinkering around in things I shouldn't be! I have reinstalled XP on it twice now and it runs pretty well. However, having just bought the kids new laptops with Windows 7 and having spent the past few days helping them set them up - I was so impressed... I would like windows 7 on my PC. I was told by the shop assistant (pcworld) that it wouldn't run well and would probably slow my pc down.... what do you think? Currently on XP Home Edition SP3. Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz. 2.99GHz, 0.99GB of RAM with Office 2007.I did tell the guy that is was 7 years old - but on checking invoice only just about 5 yrs. Really appreciate your help. SM :)

birdface 20:56 31 Aug 2010
  Simsy 20:57 31 Aug 2010

you can download...
Then you run it, it asseses your hardware and reports back. I don't have a link to hand, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

I would have thought that as it has a 3Ghz CPU it probably is able to cope, but with the addition of more RAM.

It takes a lot of space... something in teh region of 8 gig on your HDD for a fresh install, so you might want to check on your HDD size as well.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 20:58 31 Aug 2010

I see buteman beat me to it... just!

Regards,

Simsy

Im a diddy 21:00 31 Aug 2010

put in on a p4 ghz with 1 gig of ram,it was very sluggish compared to xp.

Im a diddy 21:00 31 Aug 2010

should read P4 2.6 ghz

Stressed Mum 21:24 31 Aug 2010

Okaaay - done that - very interesting. Just a few hitches - need more HD space and approx 11 of my programs would need reconfiguring/upgrading (ie Acronis). I might hold out for a new pc! Just love the speed of Windows 7!! Thank you for your advice. SM :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?