My computer won't recognise my scanner

ernieernie 22:35 20 Jul 2008

I had my scanner working fine until I closed and restarted my computer. It now tells me that 'an error occured communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again'.
No matter what I try I cannot resurrect it, not even by re-installing the scanner.
I am running Vista and the scanner is an HP Scanjet 3800.
This trouble is not welcome on my 85th birthday!
Help!

MsTechie 23:19 20 Jul 2008

Happy Birthday!

Go to device manager - Control panel > System >Device Manager (on the right hand side of the window) click the + next to Universal Serial Bus controllers and from the drop down menu remove the usb composite device (this might be in bold letters) physically unplug your scanner and restart your computer.

Once restarted plug in your scanner and it should reinstall its self

laurie53 07:53 21 Jul 2008

I have always found HP software to be notoriously flakey.

Only this week I "lost" my printer and had to reselect it in Control Panel for no apparent reason (and twenty minutes checking things!)

You might try looking in Control Panel and checking it's selected.

ernieernie 08:28 21 Jul 2008

To MSTechie
Thanks a lot. I tried what you said. It wasn't quite what you called it but it included the word 'hub'. Anyway, my scanner re-appeared. I have to go out now. We will see if it is stil ok later. I'll let you know.
To Laurie53. I see I have two copies of my printer. Should I delete one of them?

laurie53 20:05 21 Jul 2008

Only if you're sure you know what you're doing!

ernieernie 07:49 22 Jul 2008

Two days later it is still working so I think we can say that the panic is over!
Thanks to both of you for your help.

My next woory is setting up a wireless connection but that is a problem for another day.
Cheerio.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?