My Computer updates every day...

Ronyap 08:18 10 Jan 2007

You know you sometimes get that yellow shield thing in the task bar which shows that you are updating. Mine used to update like evry so and so, but now, its uploading every day! It is really annoying, is there like 'lots of updates' at the moment?

Thanks

rawprawn 08:31 10 Jan 2007

There were 4 this morning, but I have'nt noticed anything excessive.

wee eddie 08:37 10 Jan 2007

for the download to complete

iscanut 09:11 10 Jan 2007

The Microsoft updates are every month, on the second Tuesday ( yesterday) so that should only happen once. Do you have Windows Defender as this may update every few days or so, but I am not aware of daily updates ! Wee Eddie makes a valid point .

FatboySlim71 09:29 10 Jan 2007

I have not noticed anything excessive either.

I agree with wee eddie's suggestion about not been online long enough. Best thing would be for you to connect to the net and stay connect for a few hours and see what upadates are downloaded, after this time sign off the net restart the computer and see if the yellow shield reappears.

You may have a lot of updates though if your pc has not been updated for a while because of you may be not been online long enough for the updates to completely download.

wotbus@ 10:02 10 Jan 2007

It's Windows Defender updating it's malware database. Malware is hatched by the second, spawned every minute, spread as we speak. Accept it - it's trying to help you ;-)

wotbus@ 10:03 10 Jan 2007

PS If you want to know what the update is, just click the balloon and it will tell you ;-)

wee eddie 10:20 10 Jan 2007

So, unless your connection is reasonably speedy, it could take a while.

Stuartli 11:09 10 Jan 2007

If you configure WindowUpdate in the Security Center to Notify Me of Downloads but Don't Install Them, you can check what updates are on offer by clicking on the icon and then selecting Customise.

Details of each update are provided and you only need to download what is required. If some are not selected a panel will come up asking if you wish to no longer be offered the unwanted downloads. Click to refuse them.

The icon will then cease appearing until the appropriate time again.

Ronyap 15:59 10 Jan 2007

Hi,

When I update, I dont click on the shield. I click on the Shut Down Button, and it automatically updates. And, yh, I leave the internet on and wait for it to install while it is shutting down. Ill try clicking on the shield and updating rather that the other way.

Ill notify you of the results. Although, I will have to wait a day to see if there is another update.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?