My Computer switchs itself off.

Olly 19:52 16 Feb 2006

I have inherited an old Pnetium II computer from my son running Office 2000. All of a sudden it has started switching itself off. If I manually turn off all the switches and then remove the plug from the wall and reinsert it and switch everything back on it all starts up again. Is it like me getting old.

Syd Plyd 20:02 16 Feb 2006

Sounds as if the Power Supply has gone on the blink

RobCharles1981 20:03 16 Feb 2006

Sounds Like a faulty PSU too me or it could be dodgy Ram

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:18 16 Feb 2006

1. overheating open up check and remove dust from fans boot with cover offf and check all fans running.
Motherboard Monitor (1,736K) click here Monitors temperatures etc.

2. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

3. psu failing

>steve< 20:20 16 Feb 2006

are you using it at the time it might be power saving mode click control panel>power options>power schemes.

Ray5776 20:47 16 Feb 2006

sounds like PSU to me also, but if you have more than one mem card you can check that first by removing and replacing one at a time. Shut down PC remove 1 stick, reboot and see what happens, if no change shut down, replace mem and remove another, reboot until you have found the faulty mem if there is one. If no difference found most likely PSU. You could also test memory using "memtest" a free download.

ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?