"my computer" screen pops up ALL the time. HELP!!!

kane_2001 15:28 27 Aug 2010

I am running windows 7 and all of a sudden the "my computer screen" keeps randomly opening up on my screen. I have installed spyware remover ( adaware ) and also run windows defender to no avail. I have also purchased a new keyboard as the old one was a little dirty and worn out ( this was incase the windows and E key were causing the problem but still this annoying box keeps coming up? Any ideas?

woodchip 16:18 27 Aug 2010

Presume this is a USB Keyboard! try a Wired PS2 keyboard if you have a spare one

kane_2001 16:23 27 Aug 2010

Have tried wireless keyboard, usb keyboard and the new one is wired and still same thing :-(

woodchip 16:25 27 Aug 2010

Do you mean it opens up like so you can brows it for files

kane_2001 16:27 27 Aug 2010

yes, it opens up and shows me basically the drives on my pc etc as standard. Really annoying, has done it 3 times whilst Im trying to type this response out!!!

woodchip 16:31 27 Aug 2010

I am on XP but go to Control Panel/Folders and have a look see how its set to open folders, sounds like a automatic setting that needs turning off

woodchip 16:34 27 Aug 2010

You could try clicking the Restore Defaults button

birdface 16:55 27 Aug 2010

Try updating and running the free version of malwarebytes.

click here
it is better than the two you already have.

birdface 16:57 27 Aug 2010

You dont need the disc in widows 7 so go to Command prompt and type in sfc /scannow press enter on your keyboard and see if that fixes it.

kane_2001 17:27 27 Aug 2010

I have run malware bytes and also the sfc scan and all clear. So im thinking its more hardware than software related. Although I had formatted the hard drive, does anyone think the possibility of purchasing a NEW hard drive and putting windows 7 on it would be beneficial?

DieSse 17:46 27 Aug 2010

I don't think hardware could cause this type of error (though I suppose nothing is totally impossible!).

I still think software - and probably malware is to blame. Also try superantispyware which in my experience can often find things malwarebytes can't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone