my computer powers of f when shuts down!

i.need.help??? 13:29 19 Dec 2005

hi my computer normally shuts down propaly but now when i shut down it does the normal time it takes to shut down but after it does the computer just powers off like when u hold the power button, thanks

pauldonovan 13:39 19 Dec 2005

If you pick "shut down" don't you want it to "shut down" fully?

Which operating system are you using? In XP when you pick shut down you get 5 options in the drop down which all do different things.

When I pick shut down, I want it to shut down and do all those things then turn the power off!

i.need.help??? 13:40 19 Dec 2005

im using windows xp and i mean that the computer shuts off like the power is gone

pauldonovan 13:53 19 Dec 2005

... which option for shutdown are you choosing?

As I said above, if I pick shut down I want it to shutdown so I have to power up again after! If you want standby you pick standby.

i.need.help??? 13:55 19 Dec 2005

yes that what i do its not hard to click shut down u no? lol

pauldonovan 13:58 19 Dec 2005

I said "which option" are you choosing? There are several when you pick shutdown?? If you pick shut down and the power cuts off then I'd expect that!!!!!

i.need.help??? 14:01 19 Dec 2005

let me giv u and example of wat i mean, say u had a dektop computer that was on and u wers using it and then the power goes down in ur street and then ur computers turns of and the hard drive makes that sound, thats wat myn does

Totally-braindead 14:03 19 Dec 2005

If you press off and it goes off why may I ask are you surprised when it does?

Totally-braindead 14:04 19 Dec 2005

What sound? You've not mentioned a sound.

stalion 14:06 19 Dec 2005

are you saying your pc is just shutting down at random while you are useing it?

pauldonovan 14:19 19 Dec 2005

..even if I hold power switch in so I can't be sure what you mean by trying it here, but I assume you mean the sound of the hard disk, PSU etc. switching off - that kind of sound you get in films when the power's been cut to the generators etc. etc. !!!

Maybe it is shutting down a little early, gonna be a tough one to diagnose that...not sure where to start - have you checked your event logs ? Go to control panel, then administrative tools, then Event viewer and look at System and Application for around the time that you shut down. Look for errors/warnings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?