my computer not responding

jonesyi 10:10 30 Jun 2003

Hope you can help
I am running win xp pro and using pioneer AO3 and Plextor 12/10/32A. ( both have auto run disabled for recording purposes ). The problem is when I place a cd in either drive, I open up my computer, Right clck on the relevent drive icon the computer does not respond, I have to ctrl/alt del, this says my computer is not responding so I then have to restart the pc. It then allows me to right click and play but as soon as I change the disk I have to go through it all again.I have cleaned the lenses but with no change.
Any ideas would be much appreciated

Bodi 10:21 30 Jun 2003

auto insert notification? Your recording software should deal with this when writing to CDR/RW - I know mine does.

Mine is somewhat different to yours, 'cos both CDRW (Plexwriter 12/10/32S) and CD-ROM (Ultraplex 40) are SCSI devices.

Anyway, I have Disconect, Sync Data Transfer & Auto insert notification all enabled.

Might help,

Bodi

Hunte® 10:40 30 Jun 2003

Try removing the drives and the Hdd controllers from device manager, then restarting your pc. This will reinstall the drivers associated with the drives.

It may also be worth looking for updated IDE drivers for you motherboard chipset. Typical manufacturers will be Intel, AMD, ALi, Via and SIS. If you are stuck finding this information out, post the make and model of motherboard you have and also the name of the IDE controller listed in device manager

jonesyi 11:24 30 Jun 2003

The motherboard is MSI 745 ULTRA with SiS 745 chipset, where do i find the name of the controller?
Do you meen remove the drivers for the drives??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?