My Computer keeps trying to connect to a website

First Bass 14:32 24 Jul 2008

I am running XP Home with AVG 8 and Zone Alarm. Zone Alarm keeps reminding me that the PC is trying to connect to a website, and that this action has been blocked. I am glad ZA is working like this, but I am mystified why my PC wants to connect to this site of its own volition! The site is a voluntary work sector site, there are no outstanding messages or packets to send, so I cannot see any valid or dodgy motives for this need to connect there. Any idea what is happening? Thanks!

Halmer 14:52 24 Jul 2008

If you type msconfig in the start/run box and go to the start tab is there anything that looks suspicious there, for example, a program updater that you are not aware of?

aceofbass 14:59 24 Jul 2008

If you download Startup.cpl from click here this may reveal the culprit. Then you can use the same utility to remove it from the autorun list.

First Bass 17:01 24 Jul 2008

Thanks for replying guys. I ran msconfig, and couldn't see anything suspicious. There are a lot of Microsoft Corp entries in the services and startup sections, and I assume these are all genuine? The Startup.cpl is a very neat utility thanks. I ran this, but couldn't find any odd entries. I am not sure what "VT Timer" and "VT Trayp" are though, and these show up on both utilities. So I'm still not sure how or why this PC is trying to contact this voluntary work site on its own initiative (perhaps its looking for help?)!

tullie 17:29 24 Jul 2008

The only items essential in your startup section are your Anti virus and Firewall,disable any others and see how it goes,you can allways re enable.

DieSse 17:34 24 Jul 2008

What's the site?

First Bass 18:37 24 Jul 2008

Thanks for replying to my post. I will try to pair down the start up entries - there are loads of microft ones.

The site my PC is keen to contact is

click here

My partner submitted an application and exchanged several emails with them last year, and interestingly, we had a different ISP and email addy then. It seems our PC(IP address)is trying to stay in touch, or is it being called (pinged?). Maybe an organisation with lots of PCs can sometimes be vulnerable to hijackers? Just because your'e paranoid doesn't mean......

First Bass 18:41 24 Jul 2008

I should have written that address without a link appearing: The site is (spelled literally) green-alliance dot org dot uk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?