My computer keeps locking and asking for password

Vincent 14:40 25 Nov 2008

My computer has begun, two days ago, to lock after 1-2 minutes of non-activity, and request administrator password. I enter this and get going again, but would like to stop this happening. How do I do this, please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:58 25 Nov 2008

Depends on what type of password lock is in place.

First try to disable the screensaver password
Display properties - screen saver - untick on resume display welcome screen.

Vincent 15:45 25 Nov 2008

I don't have a screen saver - all I have is my administrator password when I log on, and the computer goes blank after 30 minutes, but revives when I touch the keyboard, don't need a password at that stage. This is why I don't understand. Do you have any other suggestions.
The message am getting is the computer is locked, you need an administrator password - which I put in. Help would be very much appreciated.

bazt 19:19 25 Nov 2008

if you know a little about PC then it is easy to get rid of this problem.
You will need to open up the PC and look on the mother board for the internal battery ( it is about as big as a small coin and sillver with two connecting legs on it, it will be soldered on to the board so you will have to unsloder it on one of the legs.
Leave it for about an hour then resolder the leg back this will delete all your store passwords.
This should solve the problem.

tullie 19:23 25 Nov 2008

Might be worth looking at power settings?Seems a bit drastic opening pc up.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:10 25 Nov 2008

That's a way of clearing BIOS passwords, the CMOS battery should be removable without having to unsolder anything.

I don't think that is the problem in this case.

vincent

go to "Start->Run" and type in "control userpasswords2" (but without the quatations). Untick the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" option and click OK

Vincent 21:00 25 Nov 2008

Thank you all, I think it may have resolved itself, but interestingly the suggestion of the control userpassword is very helpful. I find that there is an extra user called ASPNET (account for using ASP.net worker process asp_net.exe - whatever that is) which I suspect should not be there, so will delete it if the problem comes back. At present it's stopped of its own accord. I will keep an eye on things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?