my computer is freezing, why?

athenrye 14:31 07 Oct 2007

hi
im got a windows xp machine, a few years old
over the last week its started to freeze

everythings okay then the orange flashing light below my green on button stops flahing the screen freezes and i cant even acces the cntrl alt dte function

i know that a bit bare on tech issue but anybody any ideas
cheers
will

brundle 14:50 07 Oct 2007

Could be lots of things - PSU, overheating, memory, hard-drive, software, faulty hardware - more info required.

Has it been crashing more often up until it started freezing? Have you installed new software or hardware lately? Has the PC been moved? Has it ever been given a clean-up inside?

athenrye 15:57 07 Oct 2007

hi brundle
kind of thought about those issues myself
its been a really stable computer, never caused any issues at all untilt he last couple of weeks

its working fine the now.... well thast after it froze 20 minutes ago

no new software, or hardware the cpu hasnt been moved, and ive not cleaned it recently

it dosnt feel realy warm
the orange activity ligt just seems to have slowed down and hen to disapear when i feezes

dont know if this is an issue, when typing its very slow and unresponsive i miss out letters if i type too fast
will

Strawballs 16:01 07 Oct 2007

I would open the side and remove the cooling fan off of the CPU heatsink and take a small soft brush and clean out any dust that is packed in between the fins.

scolley 16:37 07 Oct 2007

athenrye this happened to my pc i cleaned it and it worked better for a time but since it stated freezing i have had nowt but trouble with it and eventuly it crashed and i lost every thing on the pc i have since installed but am still geting the same prbs, plus i have no sound, so i think its best to get this sorted ASAP, with luck this may not happen to you, sorry not trying to alarm you good luck
Scolley

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:43 07 Oct 2007

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Alan-Petrie 16:50 07 Oct 2007

try goin into safe mode and see if the same thing happens

athenrye 17:18 07 Oct 2007

cheers
ill give it a go
william

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?