My computer freezes from time to time

haricot 16:26 13 Dec 2010

This has only just started to happen and I would like to know if anyone has a solution.

I dont know why it happens . The computer has been on for some time and them suddenly the mouse wont register on screen and/or I cant move the side bar up and down or it wont type a letter etcetc.

It is absolutely infuriating. If anyone can lead me to a solution I would be most grateful.

Thanks

northumbria61 17:27 13 Dec 2010

Could be any number of things when it is doing it "randomly" - have a read here click here OR choose from this LIST click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:35 13 Dec 2010

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

haricot 10:59 14 Dec 2010

Thanks chaps and sorry about the delay in acknowledging.
I have tried my AVG and Malwares and they give me a clear reading so no probs there.

The other stuff you gave me means a lot of self diagnosing and that is just what I am not any good at, hence asking you guys in the first place.
I regret to say that I am a "green tinhorn" when it comes to computers and the technical side.

Anyhow thanks for your input , I am grateful nevertheless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?