My Computer in Explorer keeps searching

Pistola 21:35 31 Aug 2005

When I fire up explorer and go to My Documents with the folders displayed all is well and the screen is static.
When I then click on My Computer causing the tree to expand, explorer continually performs a search and refreshing the screen. click on the folder button to remove the folder tree and the screen is static, click on folder tree is starts to search.
If the My Computer tree remains expanded (-) and then click onto My documents, explorer continues to search.

Can anybody help as I'm starting to see apparitions?

[XP Home Ver 2002, SP2]

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:44 01 Sep 2005

To repair Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x for Windows XP:

Note: Before proceeding, ensure that your Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM is available.

From the Start menu, choose Run.

In the Open field, type sfc /scannow

Click the OK button.

Restart the computer when the System File Checker program finishes.

Alternate fix to repair Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x for Windows XP:

Note: Before proceeding, ensure that your Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM is available.

From the Start menu, select Search, and choose Files or Folders.

Click the More Advanced Options item and ensure that there is a checkmark beside the Search hidden files and folder option.

In the Name field, type ie.inf

In the Look in drop-down menu, click C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.

Click the Search Now button. The correct ie.inf file should be located in the Windows\Inf folder.

Right click the ie.inf file and choose Install from the drop-down menu that appears.

Restart the computer when the computer finishes copying files.

Alternate fix to repair Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x for Windows XP:

From the Start menu, choose Run.

In the Run window, type rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt" Note: The command is case-sensitive.

Click the OK button.

Click the Repair Internet Explorer option.

Click the Yes button to complete the repair.

Restart the computer when you are prompted and allow the computer to configure Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Resource
For more information, see:

Microsoft Help and Support

Pistola 22:59 02 Sep 2005

Fruit Bat /\0/
Thanks for the info.

system file checker ran but no joy
ie.inf installed but again no joy
setupwbv does not exist on my machine!!! Am I missing something or is it hidden.

Spent a couple of hours trying a couple of other fixes from MS (added a new reg key 'NoRemoterRecursiveEvents') but I'm not networked and also tried indicating that IE 6 was not installed, but it came back with the same problem.

Have you or anybody else got a suggestion?

Many thanks

woodchip 23:32 02 Sep 2005

What do you mean "IE 6 was not installed" ??? If you are using XP Home as you say you are, then IE6 is installed by default

Pistola 23:37 02 Sep 2005

sorry for the confusion

tried >>
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt" <<
and the response
>> Error loading setupwbv.dll. the specified module could not be found <<

woodchip 23:41 02 Sep 2005

You need to extract it to the System32 folder from your XP disc or check the I386 folder, in Windows folder

woodchip 23:43 02 Sep 2005

Also place a copy into the Windows folder. I cannot tell you where it goes at the moment as I am on my Win98se desktop

Pistola 00:00 03 Sep 2005

I've scanned the whole of my PC and my upgrade disc and cannot find setupwbv.

Note, my PC came pre-loaded but with no disc. I bought an upgrade disc for my old PC which I no longer have.

woodchip 00:14 03 Sep 2005

Just checked my XP desktop NO setupwbv, The file is on Win98se comp So you are trying to run a Win98 Command on a XP computer. It will not work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?