Is my computer controlled by someone else?

Ricky_Singh 21:08 06 Nov 2006

I have recently reinstalled Windows XP and reformatted my hard drive after my pc got "messed" up. I installed all the usual programs (Word, Excel) and also Service Pack 2 from the microsoft website. However some interesting things have happened since which did not occur before. Firstly I cant set my home page on Internet Explorer. I followed all possible ways to change it but it keeps going on this next microsoft site and then redirecting to MSN homepage. Also when i install any web-related software (Flash player) it still says i havent installed it. I have changed the internet setting to default but to no avail. I cant install for IE 7 for some reason and when i install some other software it says i havent got certain softeware which i know i have. Also i cant change Windows Firewall settings because they are controlled by Group Policy. But i dont know how to turn group policy off and i know you type gpedit in the run command box but nothing loads up. Is my computer being monitored by some1? Is some1 checking what i do on my computer? I have Spybot, Ad-aware and AVG and have run all these programs and cleaned up the "mess" but none of the problems i mentioned above are resolved. PLEASE HELP!!!

woodchip 21:15 06 Nov 2006

Looks to me like you need to save, Backup all what you want to keep like E-Mails Photos and Docs. Then clear the Decks and reload

brundle 21:20 06 Nov 2006

gpedit is only included with XP Pro

lotvic 01:15 07 Nov 2006

check if your pc is secure
visit Shields Up click here and do the tests
read my post on click here - scroll about 15 posts down.

Belatucadrus 01:28 07 Nov 2006

What if any security software have you got installed, particularly anti virus and spyware ?

Belatucadrus 01:29 07 Nov 2006

Ignore me, It's late and I've just read the post properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?