My cdr-cdrw/dvd player combo ......

woofwoofbark 23:44 11 May 2004

I can play and write cd's on the combo but my drive doesnt read DVD'S ... i have PowerDVD and have tried playing in Windows Media but both cant find anything in D: drive ??? i can play audio cd's and comp games but cant play dvd movies or videos

what can i do , if anything ?

cheers

mickmoran61 01:19 12 May 2004

Dear geo_g73

If your CD player doesn't say "DVD ROM" on the outside of its drive it will never play DVDs, no matter how much software you add to your computer. In my case,I have 2 CD drives in my tower. The top one says "DVD ROM" on the disk drive. The bottom one says "Compact Disk-RW" on its disk drive.
Only the top one can play DVDs (and CDs) The bottom one can copy data and music onto a CD. It cannot copy a DVD.

You need to install a DVD drive.

Mick

Wes Tam ;-) 08:26 12 May 2004

mickmoran61 my new DVD drive only says 'DVD R/RW', no mention of 'ROM'; and plays and records perfectly.

And as geo_g73 has a combo drive surely it must play DVDs?

Wes Tam ;-) 08:39 12 May 2004

geo_g73 what's your drive listed as under System>Device Manager?

woofwoofbark 11:22 12 May 2004

mickmoran61 i was tired last night and didnt explain myself too good , i was able to play DVD's on the drive in the past but lately for some reason thats beyond me when I put any DVD into the drive it doesnt read it , ive tried windows media player , real one player and power dvd but for some odd reason nothing is picked up when the dvd is in the drive .... i can play audio and cd's that I have burned plus games and cdroms work perfectely ... its just maybe the dvd drive has gone walkabout and im trying to get it to work again ....

Wes Tam ;-) in device manager this is opened when i click on the drive ...

This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.

The drive is listed as DVD/CD-ROM drives i click to open it and it reads HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4120B

and like I typed above on properties for the divice through device manager it says the device is worling properly , but it aint ???

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone