My C drive dissapeared when the drive was partitio

justkevin 14:00 30 Mar 2007

I can,t find my C Drive.The drives were partioned a while ago into D and E occaisionally C drive appears as a removable drive.My problem is that the E drive The E drive is I am told ,the "disk Label" whatever that means ,it is also called a Swap File
My problem is that the E drive is now so full that it can't be defragmented as a lot of stuff gets automatically downloaded there instead of somewhere like D drive where there is loads of room.Every time I try to move or delte something from E drive I see I can,t as it is needed on the system file.

Technotiger 14:09 30 Mar 2007

Hi, if you are using XP, try a System Restore back to before the drives were partitioned. C drive should be/is your main drive where all your settings re motherboard/startup etc are stored.

justkevin 17:38 30 Mar 2007

Unfortunately I don't have xp but windows 2000Professional and there is no system restore.Is there much involved in formtting or deleting everything on the hard drive and reinstalling.I have the windows cd still,this would solve my problems I think

Technotiger 17:44 30 Mar 2007

Hmm, with the CD I would try a re-install over the old one first - or is there a Repair facility on the CD if/when you try the re=install. Failing that then, you would have to do a re-format and re-install. It should not be too strenuous, whichever way you go.

Technotiger 17:46 30 Mar 2007

Once you have it all sorted - you should do a full backup using Acronis True Image, then if you have any further problems in future you will be able to easily restore things.

justkevin 21:56 30 Mar 2007

how I do a reinststall,like how do I boot up if I have formatted the hard drive,doesn't that formatting ,take the boot up info with it?
What files should I move to my removable storage drive,what actually is needed?The info in BIOS does that get removed also?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?