My Biggest Gripe With IE8

degssie 23:04 06 Jun 2009

Although I have been having the same problems as others have reported, my biggest problem is that when I click on links on a page or even try and open a new tab,I keep getting the error message "to protect your computer Microsoft has closed thei programme" I then get a request to send an error report. I may then get a message that my present page has been recovered. I have also encountered the problem of additional "Ad" windows opening at random times, usualy when I have clicked on a link.
I tried to roll back to before I installed IE8 but although other things changed, such as my wall paper, IE8 was still installed

Sea Urchin 23:20 06 Jun 2009

So what are asking - how to sort out IE8 or how to "roll back" to IE7?

remove ie8 from control panel> installed updates, it will be near the top

degssie 23:51 06 Jun 2009

What I am trying to do is stop the pop-up explorer windows that I am getting. They are all Advertising such as the one that has just opened for "Online Gifts". This appears to happen when ever I click on anything on a web page.

ambra4 01:17 07 Jun 2009

Your browser have been hijack by Advertising software you need to run the following programs

Download, update and run the following programs

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

click here

a-squared Free 4.0

click here

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

click here

If these do not complete fix the problem in IE download and run

“HijackThis”

click here

A guide and tutorial on using HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware

click here

degssie 18:44 07 Jun 2009

Having tried all those, ambra4,the only one that showed anything was Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and that wanted $39 to register before it would clean them. It said there were 42 items. I am always a bit suspicious of scans that fins stuff and then demand money to clear them

Sea Urchin 18:53 07 Jun 2009

You've downloaded the wrong version - should be the Free version on ambra4's link - the blue button. It's quite free to use and will remove all threats found.

degssie 12:35 08 Jun 2009

I have uninstalled the Anti-Malware and re-installed the FREE vesion. After waitng for 5 hours for the scan to finish, when I click on "clear" it still says that I have to register at a cost of $39. Am I still doing something wrong?

ambra4 12:42 08 Jun 2009

Forget Microsoft Add/Remove program as it leave files in the registry and on the hard

drive which will causes problem uninstalling and reinstalling programs use this program

Revo Uninstaller

click here

If the windows request message to reboot appear DO NOT click the NO button Revo will

now search the registry and hard drive for any files that is not required, just click the

Select All button and the Delete button if any left over files are found once the “Finish”

button appear you can than reboot the computer

djbenny 12:43 08 Jun 2009

use firefox.

Sea Urchin 12:53 08 Jun 2009

Have you posted on the right thread here? Malwarebytes (run at your suggestion) has found infections but degssie is being asked to pay $39 to remove them.

degssie - the Malwarebytes screen does not have a Clear button - it should look like this:

click here

Have you downloaded the wrong program?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone