my asus laptop reset itself to factory settings. any way of getting my files back?

redex 05:07 06 Jul 2013

I have an asus laptop running with win 7 home premium. I shut my laptop down last night and it ran its windows updates. When i turned it on today, it a screen came up for license agreements for win 7. apparently it reset itself to its original factory setting. All my files and programs are gone. Any ideas on what I can do or what can be done to prevent this in the future?

mole1944 06:27 06 Jul 2013

Easy answer, don't know how to get back your original data however in future have a copy of your data possibly two copies, I use two methods one is clickfree drive for my data and also I have Acronis to clone to a second drive, if you have a western digital drive a free cut down version is available, then you can reclone back from the drive you saved to. So finally you should have learned a valuable lesson about "all your eggs in one basket", golden rule is have a backup.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:03 06 Jul 2013

Unlikely as it will have formatted the drive

but try Recuva

Do not write anything else to the drive and recouver the files to an external drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone