My adsl modem connects using isdn channel?

Dancingbrave 19:48 04 Oct 2006

Fairly new pc with win xp still getting used to xp from win98,in modem properties my bt voyager adsl modem connects using ISDN channel which was not the case with my old pc,its the same modem ive installed.
Can you tell me why this should happen.

Diodorus Siculus 19:59 04 Oct 2006

Can't answer that but it it works ok, I shouldn't worry...

JanaMan 20:06 04 Oct 2006

My modem is ADSL made by BT. Its Voyager 105, i also have a speedtouch 330. These modems both had usb interfaces rather than ethernet. Although its meant to be always online you probably have to dial-up everytime.

I know have a Netgear DG834PN Wireless Router. This works using either wireless or ethernet connection and whenever my computer is turned on i am connected to the net. This is true Always online connection.

It shouldnt really be a problem but if u want or need it to show as a dsl always on connection jus go out and buy an ethernet modem or a router would be quite helpful if you have a few computers you would like to connect to the net.

Hope this helps and was relevant
Janacksan :-)

Dancingbrave 20:07 04 Oct 2006

Yes it works ok.

Dancingbrave 20:11 04 Oct 2006

Yes its a usb modem and its the voyager 105 which does as you say have to dialup each time.

JanaMan 20:18 04 Oct 2006

im not sure why you asked the question - do you need any help or did you jus want to know about why its appears as ISDN

Dancingbrave 20:36 04 Oct 2006

Yes i thought it should show up as connect using adsl and not ISDN and thought it may cause problems.

JanaMan 21:00 04 Oct 2006

It wouldnt cause a problem but with me i got annoyed of having an Alwys on broadband connection yet needing to reconnect on startup

in my two years of using i neva had problems. The only little one was when i had my Nano connected on startup

for some reason it didnt work even after reinstalling software so i jus dissconected it before turning on the pc

Do you have more than one pc - if you have you should definatly get a router. (ask me about it)

If having to reconnect and install drivers is making you mad jus get an ethernet modem from pc world im sure theyre under £30. It gets less annoying that way

Dancingbrave 21:38 04 Oct 2006

Only one pc it does not bother me using dialup so to speak it was just the isdn thing but if its ok i will carry on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone