My ADSL keeps disconnecting

Technotiger 18:00 07 Nov 2004

My ADSL Connexant Access Runner keeps disconecting
cutting off my BT Broadband. Internal ADSL modem. XP (Home), 512ram, 80Gb hd, AMD1.34Ghz cpu. On broadband 2 years, no problems until last few days. Me, aged 69yrs - help!!

Graham ® 18:05 07 Nov 2004

Could be a lot of things! First, check the line. Lift a telephone, dial a digit to break dial tone. Listen for noise.

Dial 151 and follow the prompts to test the line.

Technotiger 18:08 07 Nov 2004

Sorry Guys, forgot to say Please Help,
terrible spelling too - should have been,
'disconnecting'

Technotiger 18:12 07 Nov 2004

Thanks Graham, have checked line - all ok.
Also checked with BT Helpline - still intermittently disconnecting .... working at this moment tho.

Technotiger 18:22 07 Nov 2004

Additional info:- as a matter of routine I update my Virus program (AVG (free)) on a daily basis, but the last fews days there have been no updates to download, is this not unusual? My last virus update was 1st Nov. Wondering if this could be part of my problem. I have done several full checks but all said 'No Virus in system'.

Dorsai 18:47 07 Nov 2004

Do you have any anti malware progs. Such as Spy bot Search & Destroy, Ad aware, A squared..

It might just be that you have picked up a dialler Trojan, and it is hanging up your BB connection, with the intention of then dialling a premium rate dial up phone number, to reconnect you.

The idea being to do this without your noticing, so you don't realise you have gone from a free phone call on to the Internet (or a very cheap one), to one at £1.50 A minute

If all you have is BB this does not work, but you do end up disconnected.

I would click here and download the free version of a squared.

if it is a Trojan or dialler, this should be of help.

But my Chinchille seems to disagree, he has been very silent tonight, but now is squeeking/barking at me, a normal sign that i am wrong. How he knows is anyone's guess.

Graham ® 19:09 07 Nov 2004

Latest AVG update is today, 7/11/04.

Graham ® 19:15 07 Nov 2004

Next suggestion, open Admin Tools in Control Panel, open Event Viewer and select System in the left pane. Any significant entries, select and click Action, Properties.

Technotiger 21:12 07 Nov 2004

Thanks Guys, am on a friend's pc now. Still keep getting discon'd on mine. Tried to update AVG but it still 'says' my AVG is up to date, even tho last successful update was 1 Nov. Guess
I must have a virus or summink!! Have not had a chance to run my AdAware or to try Dorsai's suggestion. Gonna bed now, will try again tomorrow - getting old u'no. Will let u no how I get on. nite nite.

Technotiger 21:12 07 Nov 2004

Thanks Guys, am on a friend's pc now. Still keep getting discon'd on mine. Tried to update AVG but it still 'says' my AVG is up to date, even tho last successful update was 1 Nov. Guess
I must have a virus or summink!! Have not had a chance to run my AdAware or to try Dorsai's suggestion. Gonna bed now, will try again tomorrow - getting old u'no. Will let u no how I get on. nite nite.

Technotiger 15:16 08 Nov 2004

Hi everybody .... another day another way - think I have traced the problem, after trying everything I knew, and bt, and my good friends here, I came to the conclusion that perhaps my adsl modem might be faulty or that the actulal pci
connection was a bit 'tired'. Took out the modem,
cleaned all connections and replaced - so far, dare I say it, all seems to be well. Many thanks to all who tried.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?