My 3G is faster than wireless

hawthorn59 04:43 30 Jan 2014
Answered

Hi Folks

forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place...

I have wireless broadband, getting about 4.5mb speed. Sometimes it cuts out, it maybe a router problem, I cant seem to fix it.

My question is though, although on my phone the O2 3G is showing appx. 7.5mb speed, it doesnt seem faster than the wireless.

I tried entering the same addresses and pressing "go" at the same time on both. Of course the phone has Safari, and the laptop has Chrome, so perhaps its not a fair test. I was considering switching to an O2 dongle with those speeds but now Im not sure.

Any thoughts?

thanks!

h

wee eddie 12:47 30 Jan 2014

First question: What speed does your ISP promise?

Second question: If you wire yourself to you Router, what speed do you get?

Have you checked your internal telephone cabling and sockets?

alanrwood 14:21 30 Jan 2014

Go to a speed test site and check the speeds properly. Google Broadband speed checker and take your choice.

mole1944 15:58 30 Jan 2014

Download wi-fi analyser, see what chanel your on if needs be go into your router settings and change it, you may be getting co chanel interference. Another way is switch of the router leave a couple of minutes and switch it back on.

hawthorn59 22:57 30 Jan 2014
Answer

Thanks! I get the wireless from a mast on a hill 10km away, and a receiver on the side of my house. It promises 4mb and I get from 2.5 to 4.5. I checked the speeds with speedtest online for the laptop and it's app on the iPhone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?