must have 2 hard drives to start -reboots on one

250Sandy 16:53 04 Feb 2006

Hi
I have just fitted a new hard drive on my computer and put WinXP pro on one partition. When I set it up I did have 2 drives in the computer. Anyway, once I took the old one out the new one couldn't boot. I reinstalled and all seemed fine until rebooting - it wouldn't. Eventuallly found that ANY other drive made things work ok.
Have changed the ribbon cable and checked the master / slave jumpers, but still can only boot from either drive if there are two drives attached!

Also on the new one every time I try to connect to the Internet, broadband or dialup it reboots the computer - but not on the other disk.
Could this all be a motherboeard prob?

Many thanks
Sandy

woodchip 16:57 04 Feb 2006

You can only boot from one disc, normaly C:\ you have to install a dual boot manager to use other drive

250Sandy 18:20 04 Feb 2006

Hi,
Thanks, but I'm not trying to boot from both, just have a single hard disk and boot from that - but neither will boot at all unless there is a second drive attached, doesn't matter what OS that one it!!
Cheers
Sandy

woodchip 19:18 04 Feb 2006

Fit the drive you have Operating System on this should have the jumper on the back set to master it should be on the end connection if it's a EIDE drive. Start computer go inti BIOS and auto detect the Drives Save and exit BIOS restart and it should boot with one drive

250Sandy 22:44 04 Feb 2006

Thanks

yes, have done that. Have even set the bios to have the slave as none - but when the drive has booted I can see that drive's contents.
What ever the setting I still have to have a second drive connected to make the first one boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?