music files are shown twice in "search"

Nonnyriley 13:02 14 Apr 2003

this is a simple to solve problem im sure. Every time i "search" (from start menu) for all music im shown 90 when I have 45 and this is because each one is shown twice, the files are "my music" folder, i have XP PRO. Other files are fine, pics and video etc.

Megatyte 13:36 14 Apr 2003

Are the extra files in the recent folder or maybe a backup folder.

AH

Nonnyriley 14:24 14 Apr 2003

when I check there properties the duplicates are in exactly the same location, made, modified and last accessed at exactly the same date. The location (my music) dont show any duplicates even if i chose to show all hidden diles and folders.

pj123 14:29 14 Apr 2003

the duplicate files are most probably .lnk files which are links to the real files. Their"made, modified and last accessed" will show exactly the same info.

Nonnyriley 14:37 14 Apr 2003

thanks for the reply, how would I tell if there .inks?

In properties they both (thats a pair of duplicates) say their mp3 format and both play.

pj123 19:18 14 Apr 2003

I use PowerDesk and not Windows Explorer and I have an option in the View menu to Show Details.

If you try Windows Explorer go to View and if there is an option to Show Details click it.

It should then show the extensions for each of these files. If it shows half of them as .lnk files then I was right, if not then I was wrong and I will have to think again.

Nonnyriley 08:36 15 Apr 2003

well, when I chose to show all details there all mp3 format sounds.

Tjsuk11 09:47 15 Apr 2003

The files could be the album art that is associated with each file. When running music on WMP the pictures that are associted with the song. I'm not sure how to show the files.

pj123 13:19 16 Apr 2003

I have just recorded an LP into my PC as a .wav file. On conversion to .mp3 it shows all 12 tracks only once. Perhaps its the mp3 programme you are using?

Wak 18:52 16 Apr 2003

I don't know if this will help but I found that I had two MY MUSIC folders after installing Real One Player.
One folder was in MY DOCUMENTS /My music and the other was just beneath My Documents as a separate main folder called MY MUSIC.
I renamed one of them and redirected Real One Player to the other one. No problems now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?