Music Downloads and security

Ben capewell 21:40 29 Sep 2006

I used love and use limewire for music and software downloads how ever since i have had loads of problems with my pc wich you guys have been very helpfull with fruitbat' ive finally re-formated, even though i kept saying i didnt want to use this option, that i wanted to find the problem, we all thought (we as in PCA, MWR ETc), a trojan and spent weeks doing scans and fixes etc .
Eventually i re-formated, and started fresh, but any way, ive heard that AYRES, is a better music site than Lime wire but i cat find the free download for ayres, please help !!!
PS ive now got running !!
Zone alarm
AVG
E-widow
to stop these nasty problems again .
Am i safe now, please let me know, or advise.
Thanks Again PCA guys

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:55 29 Sep 2006

Am i safe now

Yes, until you use peer to peer networks like limewire and Airies then you will open yourself up to more trojans and viruses.

My advice, do not use any of these filesharing networks!

Belatucadrus 22:04 29 Sep 2006

If however you're intent on using P2P I'd suggest avast! instead of AVG as avast! has a specific P2P scanner.
As always one AV only, two can be disastrous.

Ben capewell 22:25 29 Sep 2006

So you are saying remove AVG and add Avast, will this make me safe, all i use my pc for is music and for making videos and photos, of my little daughter.
Last time i used avast i think i fount it a bit more confuising than avg, or may its because ive become used to aVG.
PS thanks for all your help guys, no matter what time i post i always get answers, (Fruit bat), you have always given me the best advice , and sent me looking in the right places, although them guys at malmare remover are a bit on the technical deamnding part, but are fantastic.

LIMEWIRE or AIRIRES

Forum Editor 23:14 29 Sep 2006

don't use filesharing networks - plain and simple advice, but good advice. If you're downloading copyright music tracks and software without paying then you're breaking the law, and you can't really complain when you run into difficulties.

Belatucadrus 00:03 30 Sep 2006

Safer, but as has been mentioned P2P is the best access route available to your PC for all the nasties out there. So doing without would be the best safety measure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?