music cd's into mp3 files to burn

STeam Squirrel 23:31 16 Mar 2003

I know this is well discussed theme, but i'm not having much success converting cd's into mp3's. I'm using 98SE and Nero Express 5.5.9.9. I also have Windows media player 9. I can't seem to find in any of this how to convert audio cd's to mp3 files for collection and burning. Nero express doesn't seem to do this, neither WMP9. Is there a free complete software program that does all of this simply without downloading loads of 'crap' ? Any ideas appreciated.

SQ

Eagie 23:53 16 Mar 2003

It's not free but you can add an MP3 convertor to Windows Media Player. In media player, go to the tools menu, select download and then plugins to be taken to the relevant site. Choose MP3 creation and voila!

The MP3 encoder is just under $10 (not sure how that converts into sterling but it's not that expensive). You can then set up media player to copy files automatically whenever a cd is inserted - it will even label them correctly using info from the internet - or just choose which ones you want manually.

Hellflower 00:06 17 Mar 2003

You can download Music Match free which does the job. If you copy your CD's onto your hard drive with this software it copies in MP3 format. If you are conected to the internet it will search for the CD on a web database and name all the songs on the cd for you so you don't have to type in the data yourself.

kuhbler 00:32 17 Mar 2003

Get CDex. This is free and will convert between cd, wav and mp3s

click here

temp003 01:25 17 Mar 2003

I also use CDex, even though I only do the occasional MP3 encoding. CDex is one of those little gems on the web which does a good job, is constantly under development and has remained free (and clean from ads) after all these years.

And, most importantly, it doesn't give you (as you say) a whole lot of rubbish you don't need, try to grab all your media files and associate them with the program, set up icons all over your computer, create startup items hogging resources, or try to connect to their website whenever you're on the internet. None of that intrusion. Highly recommended.

ton 02:40 17 Mar 2003

Nero can convert to mp3's. Click on 'extras' then on file encoding. I haven't used it for a while but if I remember right, you need to record them to your HD first as 'wave files'. You can then convert them to any quality mp3, or even mp3Pro if you have the plugin. Mp3Pro gives an even better quality, and about half the size file.

JoeC 08:03 17 Mar 2003

Go here click here

Download the fichier ra-codec12.zip (883 kb) and double click
setuplc3.exe to get MP3 capablities in WMP. Also, on the same page download the MP3.reg file to edit the registry for you.

€dstow 08:24 17 Mar 2003

I've posted two threads with loads of MP3 converters listed. Have a search of the archives.

€d

STeam Squirrel 19:27 19 Mar 2003

Cheers for all that folks, much appreciated. I think i'll give cdex a go and if it doesn'y work i guess i will just buy the mp3PRO plug in for nero express about 10 bucks. Thanks again.

STeam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017